AT&T

There are newer employer reviews for AT&T

Great people bad atmosphere

Former Employee - Tier I Tech Support in San Antonio, TX
Former Employee - Tier I Tech Support in San Antonio, TX

I worked at AT&T full-time (less than an year)

Pros

I worked for AT&T as a U-Verse Tier 1 Technical Support member through another company by contract. Most of the people there were great people very easy to get along with. The job itself was pretty easy, just sit there and answer the phone, follow the script, solve problem, done. The supervisors were great, always ready to help out. It's a good place to work to build up customer service experience.

Cons

It's a high volume call center so the moment you clocked in you were thrown to the wolves. You complete one call and are immediately thrown into another call. Very repetitive and some very angry customers sometimes but that comes with the job. Although it's easy to fix the technical problems if you're not good at customer interaction then this would be a bad fit for you as it was for me.

6084 Other Employee Reviews for AT&T (View Most Recent)

Avoid becoming a Retail Sales Consultant if you can!

Current Employee - Retail Sales Representative
    Current Employee - Retail Sales Representative

I have been working at AT&T full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

Decent hourly rate. Excellent training.

Cons

The numbers you have to hit are completely unreasonable. They are constantly changing, and you get hit almost daily with some new thing to focus on. You would think working for Mobility, you would be selling cell phones. Wrong. You are expected to sell internet, Direct TV, Uverse TV, tablets, data connect devices, and home phones. There is always something new that gets added to the sales process. Today it's setting people up on ebill. Tomorrow may be selling Merchandise Protection Plans. There are so many things you are required to mention during every sales process that you are unable to connect with the customer and build rapport. You will be too worried about the manager standing in the corner doing observations. All you will think about is hitting everything you are required to say.
    If you enjoy standing for hours on end, unbelievable micromanaging, and the most political environment I've seen in 20 years- then by all means take this position. If you enjoy having your commission plan "restructured" every year and losing money- then take this position. If your life's dream is to live in constant fear of not hitting numbers- this job is for you.
    I never missed my numbers, so this isn't sour grapes. It's reality. This job has become ridiculous!

It wouldn't matter because management doesn't listen. We are constantly surveyed about how we feel. This is a complete waste of time because the company doesn't listen or care. My advice would be to find a balance between pushing employees to be successful without creating an environment of fear. Promotions shouldn't be based on politics.

An excellent stepping-stone, that the quicker you show your value, the faster you climb the ladder.

Former Employee - Customer Service Representative in Little Rock, AR
    Former Employee - Customer Service Representative in Little Rock, AR

I worked at AT&T full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

*One of the most paid-time off offered in any company of this position and level in the country.
    *Great team environment that is constantly improving, and trying new things.
    *Paid training with one of the fastest callback for interview- to first paycheck times of any entry-level position.
    *There is a resource for every challenge you will encounter and as long as you are willing to ask, you will be able to solve them at every turn.

Cons

-The work/life balance problem in this field can be resolved with a hybrid of telecommunication and office work.
    -The company is large, so it takes time for any small changes to happen.
    - The willingness to stay with the company is to much depended on how well you get along with the team. Poor co-workers can suck any enjoyment you have from your work.
    -High volume, high stress environment that, if succumbed, can lead to a roller-coaster of emotion, so never take things personally.

*Do a better job at listening to your subordinates, you will better able to decipher if the problem is immediate or if it will take time to correct. If it is with another employee, handle it immediately.

*Add a better sense of humanity with regard to the attendance policy, handle each problem on a case by case bases.

*Roll out a plan that gives telecommunication opportunities to your call center employees.

There are newer employer reviews for AT&T