AT&T

www.att.com
There are newer employer reviews for AT&T

Bad experience with a revolving door company

Former Employee - Customer Service Representative I in Boardman, OH
Former Employee - Customer Service Representative I in Boardman, OH

I worked at AT&T full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

Pay, there is no other pro to this job

Cons

Hours, management, sweat shop, management

Stop running it like a sweat shop

6506 Other Employee Reviews for AT&T (View Most Recent)

Too many company changes

Former Employee - Manager in Sacramento, CA
    Former Employee - Manager in Sacramento, CA

I worked at AT&T full-time (more than 10 years)

Pros

If you can get through the BS and to a department that doesn't promote less qualified people-there are still parts that are worth working for.

Cons

At one time Pacific Bell was a great company than got bought by SBC who bought AT&T. Think they lost sight of employees put the hard work into the business.

Don't be afraid to promote people that will work harder and possibly could do your job. Promoting people who aren't the best makes for a company with many problems.

Pros and cons

Current Employee - IT Project Manager in San Ramon, CA
    Current Employee - IT Project Manager in San Ramon, CA

I have been working at AT&T full-time (more than 10 years)

Pros

AT&T was a place to go for both innovation and security. What I like is they have progressed to an (inconsistent) telecommuting program that really is beneficial to the employees and the teams. I also like that I have a pension and 401k - though I believe the pension is no longer available to new hires. In general we work a 40 hour work week if you are non-exempt which is amazing!
    The company is pretty innovative too but being such a large company. They have grown away from the plain old telephone line to now a multi platform entertainment and communications company.
    Exposure to new tech is pretty cool - cloud, big data, api's, along with agile methodologies.

Cons

I will say in the 12+ years that I have been there, in IT, I have never felt like my job was safe - even while being a highly rated, top performer. Is that IT in general? - perhaps. But we also need to look at the culture where most of us do not feel valued in the least. IT folks tend to be treated as throw aways. There have been a ridiculous number of layoffs over the years to the point where we all waiting for the next axe to drop. What makes it all worse, is the company really wants to do away with all California employees - they are pretty clear about it. There are almost no opportunities to move around within the company in California. All open jobs are saying specific cities - or listing all regions but CA. So while the company is (inconsistently) supporting the idea of telecommuting - this idea does not cross over to new positions for CA employees. It feels like that if they take away opportunities to grow, we'll just go somewhere else.
    The company is also so large, the deployment of resources is very ineffective. Its either you hair is on fire with a crazy amount of work, or youre twiddling your thumbs waiting for more work to come your way. Of course I can always find something to do, but again, resource management is ineffective.
    Management coverage of striking union workers is probably the worst Con. Roughly every 4 years we go into contract negotiations - at which time all management needs to train to do the union peoples jobs which can be dangerous. This can consist of climbing telephone poles, working near electrical lines, and other hazardous situations. Where the union folks get months of training, we primarily get some online training and a few classes. We are also told that if we take vacation during the year while negotiations are taking place- we could be immediately recalled back to work within 24 hours or lose our jobs. This is upsetting to families of employees and makes it stressful to plan a vacation or life event (not to mention the dangerous situation we are put in).

Be more consistent with company policies, allow more flexibility for the employees, continue with agile methodologies, treat all employees as if they had value, allow opportunities for all skilled employees to go where they are needed regardless of region, continue with the telecommuting program where appropriate. We are a communications company - we do not all need to live in Dallas to be highly effective.

There are newer employer reviews for AT&T