AT&T

There are newer employer reviews for AT&T

Assistant Manager

Current Employee - Assistant Manager in Melbourne, FL
Current Employee - Assistant Manager in Melbourne, FL

I have been working at AT&T full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

Great benefits, great salary, beautiful company to work for.

Cons

No work-life balance. Sales environment may not be for everybody. High pressure from area manager.

6230 Other Employee Reviews for AT&T (View Most Recent)

Greedy Company

Former Employee - Retail Sales Consultant in Colorado Springs, CO
    Former Employee - Retail Sales Consultant in Colorado Springs, CO

I worked at AT&T full-time (more than 5 years)

Pros

They tend to have good advancement opportunities. Their transfer program is great. I transferred between 3 stores in 5 years with no issues. Free phones.

Cons

Very bureaucratic upper management (District Manager, Director of Sales, etc.) Terrible commissions. Most newer employees get all giddy after returning from an all expense paid trip out of state for job training. They don't realize how crappy the commissions have become. Since Stephenson has taken over, pay has gotten worse and so have health benefits. In 2007, I went from making over $3,000 in commissions every month plus my regular pay and had $250 deductibles for my health insurance. By 2013 I was lucky if my commission payout was $1,000 and health deductibles had skyrocketed to $750 for an individual. Remember…commissions are taxed at about 40% so that leaves you with near nothing at the end of the month. Little by little they have been cutting compensation while loading your plate with TONS of things you have to sell. You have to lead with a smartphone, offer a tablet, offer a wireless home phone, offer a premium sound device, offer at least $80 in accessories, offer MPP, offer paperless billing, offer auto pay, offer the highest Family Share Data Plan, offer a new line….all to someone who just came in to buy a $0.99 cent iPhone. Then you have to make sure they give you a 9 or 10 on their survey even though their service has been horrible and the Customer Support Call Center just pissed them off on their way to the store. In the surveys they ask a series of questions. They'll ask how they would rate THEIR SALES REP (NRS) then they'll ask if they'd be willing to RECOMMEND AT&T (WTR). You could get 10's across the board for NRS but if you got an 8 or less for WTR…they will give you a counseling even if you had no control over it. They could also get you in the way of daily observations. Management will micromanage the crap out of you. They'll do written observation on you multiple times a day and wait for you to miss something during a customer interaction so they can write you up for "Performance." They punish you by having mandatory meetings as well. At one point we would have up to 3 meetings per week at 7am. So if you had an afternoon shift, tough luck…you'd have to come twice in one day even if you lived an hour away all to hear you manager go over the current quota rankings and do "role plays." They treat you like you have no life outside of work. Everyone who has either left work or quit has said AT&T has been the most stressful job ever.

Quit micromanaging and pay your RSC's more…they are the bread and butter of AT&T. Have realistic quotas. Don't discipline an RSC for not offering the most expensive tablet to someone who came in asking for a sim card.

Terrible

Former Employee - Premise Technician in Columbus, OH
    Former Employee - Premise Technician in Columbus, OH

I worked at AT&T full-time (less than an year)

Pros

The people are pretty cool

Cons

Over worked and Under paid

Provide upward mobility