There are newer employer reviews for AT&T

As a former employee and returning as a consultant, it seems like the company is more scattered since the late 90's.

Former Contractor - Anonymous Contractor
Former Contractor - Anonymous Contractor

I worked at AT&T as a contractor (less than a year)

Pros

- Fairly easy-going management
- Flexible work arrangement
- Work remotely a few days a week or in inclement weather

Cons

- Projects are too nebulous - no clear direction
- Can take awhile before someone will even acknowledge that something needs to be done

Spend a little more time getting to know what people are working on and provide your ideas up front instead of letting them go off for awhile thinking they're doing the right thing and THEN telling them what you had in mind

reviews filtered by
  1. It was a good ride; almost 30 years!

Former Employee - Applications Support in Mesa, AZ
    Former Employee - Applications Support in Mesa, AZ

I worked at AT&T full-time (more than 5 years)

Pros

The company has excellent benefits; career, health, life, education, training and much more. They serve a broad technology base that allows employees to become knowledgeable in many disciplines. Salary is commensurate to experience, education and ability to perform.

Cons

Having been around for a while, I think technology is driven more by investors than engineering long lasting products and services.

I hope offshoring work doesn't bite you! In any event, if you needed me, I'd come back to the right place.

Horrific

Former Employee - Leveraged Service Representative in Kirkwood, MO
    Former Employee - Leveraged Service Representative in Kirkwood, MO

I worked at AT&T full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

AT&T does pay VERY well and has excellent benefits---but you better be ready to go through hell and have 0 family life because of it.

Cons

This was by far my worst career choice. I was blinded by the amount of money they offered. I worked in a call center in Kirkwood, MO. It was a retention call center that handled 1000's of calls daily. You were yelled at and threatened daily--not only by the customers. Management looked over your shoulder constantly and micro-managed regularly. You had absurd sales goals on top of having to retain customers who were ticked at the company. On top of all of this, you were surveyed regularly by these callers who were angry at AT&T and the surveys reflected on you, and you alone. Your job was held over your head on a regular basis. Everything was based on seniority with the company--which is fine, and I get it, but come on...if you wanted a Saturday off, you would have to offer your first born child. I worked there for nearly 3 years, and I could count on one hand how many Saturdays I actually acquired. Vacation was offered, however, if you were low on the totem pole, be ready for your week vacations to be in October or February. Be ready for your other days off to be on Wednesday, Thursday or Friday. Friday, Saturdays and Monday's were always taken before you would get your crack. I had 0 family life. Mandatory overtime was given every single week I worked there. I worked from 8.30am to 7.15pm EVERY SINGLE DAY. I can honestly say that 80% of the call centers employees were either on some sort of anxiety medication or had taken stress leave. Yes, stress leave! I would say 50% of the employees took stress leave at least once a year. It is the most stressful job you will ever have in your life. You can make upwards of 70K a year, but you better be ready to hand your soul over to the devil.

Be better to your employees--how they succeed reflects on how well you manage. Threatening them on a daily basis does not work well.

There are newer employer reviews for AT&T