There are newer employer reviews for AT&T

So much potential, we just need to execute on it.

Current Employee - Director in Dallas, TX
Current Employee - Director in Dallas, TX

Pros

Good benefits, a chance to explore a multitude of different parts of the business if the opportunities are presented, a very interesting and dynamic industry where the company has positioned itself well for long term growth.

Cons

Politics, bureaucracy, silos, and the typical issues you'd deal with in any company that employs 300,000+ employees. Our senior officer core group of leadership has defined a path forward that makes sense, but our junior officer and VP ranks don't always have the business accumen to execute on what's been set as our course.

Advice to Management

Making the move to Dallas was a big first step towards truly walking the talk on leaving behind our stagnant culture. We need to make this move not just about geography but also truly a mindset within the company. We need to clean house on some corporate overhead as the move occurs, and we need to continue to attract talent from outside because we can't breed all leadership internally on key components. Our biggest change needs to occur in our HR measurements and talent evaluation. We can't keep compensating everyone on the same bonus structure with a little sprinkle on top for the top percentile, and we need to engrain a system that moves the middle and incents bottom performers to find a new job elsewhere. Top performers continue to grow weary of being treated the same as those that underperform, and without a more objective means of identifying talent and grooming it to lead the business in the future, we're going to find ourselves in an even bigger crunch for innovative and dynamic leaders than we already have today.

Other Employee Reviews for AT&T

Bring back the old AT&T

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Piscataway, NJ
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Piscataway, NJ

Pros

Branding and marketing of Iphone

Cons

legacy AT&T treated people much better - have taken 10 steps backwards w/benefits, promotional encouragement and opportunities

Advice to Management

No longer Bell system - supposed to be a communications company - need to treat employees and customers much better - bottom line is important but too much cost cutting is affecting employee morale very seriously

2. AT&T - Product Management

Current Employee - Senior Product Manager
    Current Employee - Senior Product Manager

Pros

Brand recognition, history, stability, integrity, commitment to technical excellence. Portfolio of capabilities is comprehensive and market leading. I have had over 7 managers during my time at AT&T, and have had very good experiences. All without exception have been considerate and flexible regarding maintaining a good work/life balance. All have been very accepting of virtual office work. Basically, most management works VO at least a portion of the time. It does not really matter where you are, as long as you are reachable and responsive via email, phone and company IM. My management and colleagues at AT&T have been exceptional with regards to treating people with fairness, respect, and acting with integrity in dealing with each other and with customers.

Cons

Since the merger with SBC in 2005, bureaucracy slows down innovation and makes it difficult to react quickly to market changes. Processes can be unwieldy - they are standardized across many products that often have very different needs. Since we are now so big, it is difficult to keep up with the latest on specific resources and information on processes and tools. Employee morale has taken a hit over the last several years of continued downsizing and potential layoffs. Benefits have taken a big hit over the past few years. On one plan, a family of 4 pays over $300 per month with a deductable of $11,000! It used to be no charge, no deductable, just co-pay.

Advice to Management

With more people working from virtual locations, relationships within teams are difficult to build and this effects communication and productivity. Invest corporate savings from telework into team building events that foster collaboration and innovation