AT&T

There are newer employer reviews for AT&T

Very Negative Experience

Former Employee - Retail Sales Consultant in Cleveland, OH
Former Employee - Retail Sales Consultant in Cleveland, OH

I worked at AT&T full-time (more than 5 years)

Pros

Decent salary, work with many nice customers

Cons

Constant negative criticism from management who think anyone outside of management are complete morons. The sales practices are very dishonest and the only way to hit sales quota's that are ridiculously high is to lie to customers. Not only is this condoned by the bunch of early 30 something so called managers, but it is rolled down from upper management. The discrimination against women and older workers is more than obvious. Every word said to customers is picked apart and no matter how good a sale you have, management will tell you you didn't do it correctly. All of their policies say do the right thing for the customer, but the managers are so worried about how much you are selling that they push you to lie, cheat and be dishonest to customers. They over charge customers on all items and then expect you to sell things that their own online division sells cheaper. You may make decent money, but you have to sell your soul to do it. forget about any time with family or friends. Very seldom will you have more than one day at a time off, usually split in the week. The only holidays you won't work are New Years, Christmas and Thanksgiving. The managers are supposed to schedule by seniority, but will change the schedule for their favorites with the excuse that it was to run the store better. iYou can not leave at the end of your shift if you are with a customer, at the close of the store at night sometimes 4 or 5 people come in and you can not tell them to come back, so you work many evenings 1 to sometimes 2 hours after you were supposed to be off. But don't be a minute late or have an emergency or you will be written up. This company does not how to treat people and I would run far and fast from taking a position at AT&T.

quit beating up the salesmen and get better products and better pricing. Treat your employees with kindness and you will be surprised at how much better they respond. And stop the deceptive practices with customers. Not only is it encouraged, the employees who cheat the worse are turned into management and then you have unworthy cheating managers. The top of the crust management who make millions a year, make large mistakes like the TMobile merger fiasco and still are paid millions, while the sales peoples commissions are cut to the core and then you disrespect them. Overpaid by way to much at the top positions.

5887 Other Employee Reviews for AT&T (View Most Recent)

Corporate at it's best!

Former Employee - Business Sales Leadership Development Program in Atlanta, GA
    Former Employee - Business Sales Leadership Development Program in Atlanta, GA

I worked at AT&T full-time (less than an year)

Pros

The brand, coworkers, pay, and discounts.

Cons

There are so many levels to this company that it is sickening. Maybe I'm just used to working in an open door environment but there's just too many people to go through to get something done. On top of all that mess there is about a million systems that you have to learn how to navigate. As such an innovative company I feel they should have a better way of streamlining all of these systems.

AT&T is big on diversity but as a person of color, I did tend to be "picked" on a lot. If it was just me I'd leave at that but this is incorporating reviews that I've gotten from coworkers who were there before me. Overall it was a really stressful environment but not because of the workload, more so the expectations they had of a black employee. If your too quiet, your angry, if your too loud, your "typical". It's hard to find a balance when the cards are stacked against you.

You are not God's gift to earth. Learn how to manage your people with out the stick up your behind. No one cares how long you've been at the company. If the "knowledge" you are providing me with isn't relevant anymore then guess what... you aren't relevant either.

NEPOTIST HIRING PRACTICES.

Former Employee - Software Engineer in Redmond, WA
    Former Employee - Software Engineer in Redmond, WA

I worked at AT&T as a contractor (more than an year)

Pros

Casual mentality. People like to dress up. Family oriented in a big way. Nice locations. If you're Indian, you'll fit in just fine. Diversity seems to flourish here. The workload is well thought out. Most managers are very nice and easy to get along with.

Cons

No flex time. Strict break and lunch times are ridiculous. No cafeteria. Temporary Agencies kind of ruin everything. Nepotism is very high at this Corporation. Hiring is based on how your relatives are within the company, regardless of experience. I've seen a school teacher hired for Software engineering and was trained to do her job, and even though she was slow and terrible at it, they kept her on, because her husband was a Project manager. They cram 12 people into an office created for 2.

Hire based on skills not on your personal preferences.
    Stop the nepotism.
    Flex time.
    Cafeteria.
    Stop cramming a bunch of people into tiny rooms, so ridiculous.

There are newer employer reviews for AT&T