AT&T

www.att.com
  www.att.com
There are newer employer reviews for AT&T

Excellent opportunity

I have been working at AT&T

Pros

Great company to work for, lots and lots of growth and opportunities

Cons

Very fast pace, you need to be able to handle lots of thing happening at the same time

6250 Other Employee Reviews for AT&T (View Most Recent)

A large company that has lost its course

I have been working at AT&T full-time (more than 5 years)

Pros

We still have a relatively strong brand name and most companies see some value in working with a well know company. The benefits are good but upper management is constantly looking for ways to reduce benefits to save money. The pay is fair.

Cons

The culture of ATT is toxic. Everyone is so over worked that no one wants to take on any type of responsibility that does not fallow into their narrow scope of responsibilities. There is very little team work and most times it is every man\woman for themselves. Our executives are very out of touch with what is going on at a tactical level. They cling to metrics to measure performance of how their division is doing but the metrics have no bearing on customer satisfaction. ATT is cheap, cheap, cheap. Every decision that upper management makes is based on cost without any regard to the impact on customer or employee satisfaction.

AT&T’s cheap attitude extends to all facets of its businesses. As a result, nothing works very well. If you have a broken PC, you speak to people in India who are difficult to understand and most times, they do not fix your problem. There are so many websites with broken links and wrong information that it makes it very difficult to work effectively. Every process is flawed to the point that it is almost impossible to follow a job guide. Selling services is an absolute nightmare as it is difficult to get pricing, proposals, contracts and worst of all, to get services installed.
    Again, our executives have decided that saving money trumps all other concerns so they have cut back on the people who install services so it takes months to get services installed that should be installed within one month. It does not take a rocket scientist to figure out that if you bill sooner, you make money sooner. Apparently, the executives must have missed that discussion on the Harvard Review. Either that or whomever the VP is of staffing is saving a bunch of money on headcount as he\she does have to worry about the bottom line.

From a product standpoint, AT&T is heavily siloed. Even products that naturally should be supported together are clearly marked and treated completely separately. To a customer or to an employee, this separation creates all kinds of confusion. Product Management refuses to “walk across the aisle” to product managers in other services which leads to a dis-jointed experience for the customers and the employees.

Instead of spending a little money on a cohesive website for pricing services, ATT relies on spreadsheets. While I am sure Microsoft is very happy, ATT’s reliance on spreadsheets for pricing makes it very difficult for employees to price services accurately and efficiently. So instead of a single login to a website, behind which pricing algorithms are run, every user must download the latest version of the spreadsheet(s) to find pricing. Since the spreadsheets constantly change, users must be diligent to insure that they have the latest version or else the pricing is wrong. This leads to customer satisfaction as services are incorrectly priced and wasted time for employees who have to issue credits.

Watching ATT gobble up each of the LECs to become a super-telco has been difficult to watch when you consider the LECs were much smaller and much more in tune with customers. If I had to make one overall statement about ATT, I would say that it has grown to a size that is not manageable and its leadership is not making smart financial decisions.

In closing, I cannot recommend ATT as a place to work, especially if you have to interact with customers. My job does involve customer interaction and I find a large part of my job is stopping ATT from negatively impacting the customers that I support.

Its not all about cost. You cannot make financial decisions in a vacuum. Just because a VP saves money does not mean that does not mean that the the VP's decision is sound. Relying on metrics to measure the performance of a group, division or individual is pointless unless you tie those metrics into the bottom line and most importantly, CUSTOMER SATISFACTION.

Allow employees to develop their skill set. If an employee wants to change positions, allow them to change. An employee should never hear, "you cannot change jobs because we cannot back-fill your job". This is an insane way of thinking.

Great advancement opportunities

Current Employee - ASM
    Current Employee - ASM

I have been working at AT&T full-time (more than 8 years)

Pros

room for growth, competitive salary, great discounts

Cons

training tells you the right way to do things, leadership doesn't care. Only want results at expense of people.

Practice what you preach.

There are newer employer reviews for AT&T