Funnels and Egos

Current Employee - Associate Director in Los Angeles, CA
Current Employee - Associate Director in Los Angeles, CA

I have been working at AT&T

Pros

Brand Recognition and the people I work with

Cons

Sr and Leadership mgmt ego driven strategies'
Too many decison makers not any ability to take risks
Departments are siloed

Advice to Management

Allow your employees to drive and not micro manage; don't leave us powerless;stop promoting bullies

0 reviews filtered by
  • Any Status

Absolute Worst Job of My Career

Former Employee - AT&T NOC Technician in Atlanta, GA
    Former Employee - AT&T NOC Technician in Atlanta, GA

I worked at AT&T

Pros

Pay and benefits are better than most.

Cons

I worked in the Atlanta NOC for 5 years supporting multi-million dollar business and government customers (router and internet connection support). Management ran this group into the ground...no plan, no ideas and no leadership. We had no training or development, and received very poor support from the higher Tier support groups (which should have helped develop the group). With the phone constantly ringing due to not enough people, it was nearly impossible to learn "on the job." Management was focussed on numbers, how many calls or tickets did someone work. They did not look at if the problem got fixed or if the customer was satisfied (in many cases no). Management did not respect or reward good work. I had to endure working horrible shifts due to my low seniority and it being a 24/7 center. When I was on 2nd shift, the manager would try to force me to work a double shift by 'forgetting' to schedule a next/3rd shift. There was no opportunity for advancement because upper management would not release us (the immediate managers would lie and deny this). Management generally behaved nasty towards their people, and would make themselves look good by making the people under them look bad (office politics at its worst). All in all, a horrible job and experience. This is not how a Telecom leader should be run.

Advice to Management

AT&T needs better management/leadership. Just because someone is good at the B.S. does not mean they will be a good manager. They need to listen and understand what their people are doing.A better evaluation process would help identify the ones that need to go.

Out of Touch

Current Employee - Compliance in Dallas, TX
    Current Employee - Compliance in Dallas, TX

I have been working at AT&T

Pros

Competitive Salary, good benefits and discounts on services

Cons

Huge overload of upper management (4th level and above) causes a big communication gap between executives and workers (1st and 2nd level); economically an upside down triangle
    Too much focus on Levels and not enough focus on running the business
    Pie in the sky executive decisions that do not make it down to the ranks or cause surplus situations due to poor execution or just plain bad decisionmaking
    Inability to make decisions at executve levels and quickly execute in this fast moving industry (too much red tape and accountibilty issues)
    Little recognition given to innovators and best talent
    Too much political favoritism and too many sycophants (amazing)
    The planners are out of touch with the doers

Advice to Management

Get off your high horse, gain some perspective and find out what is really going on in your company. I would like to see you on Undercover Boss. Get down in the trenches and find out what is really going on with the workers in the company, and why so many people are unhappy with the decisionmaking process and the way the business is run. Find the real talent in the company, you would be surprised at how good the people at the bottom of the food chain are, and perhaps you would not be surplusing some of your best talent and dedicated employees to other companies by being "Out of Touch". Look at what the top 50 companies (Facebook #1) are doing right!!!