ATCIC

Working in the Mental Health Field

Former Employee - Behavior Specialist in Austin, TX
Former Employee - Behavior Specialist in Austin, TX

I worked at ATCIC

Pros

Working at ATCMHMR was a positive experience in that one is able to provide social services to clientele who benefit greatly from a structured, experienced support system. Family and friends are often unavailable or suffer from burn out and cannot effectively support the client in achieving and maintaining optimal functioning and health in the community. The knowledge base and contacts available at ATCMHMR are extensive even though funding for mental health treatment has historically been insufficient to meet the needs of the community.

Cons

Turnover of staff is high, pay for social work is low, and the stress of attempting to manage medications, treatment, and problem behaviors can become overwhelming when programs are undermanned and underfunded.

Treat your employees like gold and offer as much support for them as possible. Be on the lookout for possible employee burn out and fight for increased funding so that service provision runs as smoothly as possible.

6 Other Employee Reviews for ATCIC (View Most Recent)

politics

Former Employee - Manager in Austin, TX
    Former Employee - Manager in Austin, TX

I worked at ATCIC full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

There is nothing good about politics unless you are running for office. Unfortunately, what seem like a great job became the most stressful job ever, and I didn't even know how stressed I really was until, I had a panic attack. The job I loved very much had taken a toll on me.

Cons

Most people say that they don't, do politics they do and it's a terrible think that happens. Just trying to know who was who to those who were just out for blood was my second job.

Try to remember that most people work well with a little straight talk and a lot of kindness it goes a long way and can change anything.

Toxic work environment with bullying culture

I worked at ATCIC full-time (less than an year)

Pros

I am hard pressed to find many positives about the position. The benefits were decent for full time employees, but the pay rate was poor and low compared to similar agencies.

Cons

There was no support from supervisors or coworkers; no team environment. The training was not adequate and workers are often left to figure things out themselves, but then insulted when things weren't done properly. There was an odd office environment where a group of workers would bully and terrorize other workers. It was really hard to watch and supervisors and higher ups tended to ignore this behavior and promote individuals who did not seem to have the proper qualifications. The position was hard enough without having to deal with the negative office environment. They have really high turn over and it was hard to find consistency and direction.

Treat employees more fairly. Offer more comprehensive training. Try to promote a healthy office environment and penalize employees' abusive behaviors in the workplace. It is the employer's job to create a safe workplace for employees to be able to work to their full potential. Also, check qualifications and managing styles of those you choose to supervise others.

There are newer employer reviews for ATCIC