Working in the Mental Health Field

Former Employee - Behavior Specialist in Austin, TX
Former Employee - Behavior Specialist in Austin, TX

I worked at ATCIC

Pros

Working at ATCMHMR was a positive experience in that one is able to provide social services to clientele who benefit greatly from a structured, experienced support system. Family and friends are often unavailable or suffer from burn out and cannot effectively support the client in achieving and maintaining optimal functioning and health in the community. The knowledge base and contacts available at ATCMHMR are extensive even though funding for mental health treatment has historically been insufficient to meet the needs of the community.

Cons

Turnover of staff is high, pay for social work is low, and the stress of attempting to manage medications, treatment, and problem behaviors can become overwhelming when programs are undermanned and underfunded.

Advice to Management

Treat your employees like gold and offer as much support for them as possible. Be on the lookout for possible employee burn out and fight for increased funding so that service provision runs as smoothly as possible.

reviews filtered by
  1. I have found ATCIC to be a pleasant yet isolated experience.

I have been working at ATCIC part-time (More than a year)

Pros

Relias Learning is convenient.
    Focus is non-judgmental and caring.

Cons

Communications are disjointed.
    Chain of Command is fragmented

2. politics

Former Employee - Manager in Austin, TX
    Former Employee - Manager in Austin, TX

I worked at ATCIC full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

There is nothing good about politics unless you are running for office. Unfortunately, what seem like a great job became the most stressful job ever, and I didn't even know how stressed I really was until, I had a panic attack. The job I loved very much had taken a toll on me.

Cons

Most people say that they don't, do politics they do and it's a terrible think that happens. Just trying to know who was who to those who were just out for blood was my second job.

Advice to Management

Try to remember that most people work well with a little straight talk and a lot of kindness it goes a long way and can change anything.