Amazing Training, challenging Work

Current Employee - Teacher in Chicago, IL

I have been working at AUSL full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

-Full year of training. You gain actual experience working in an urban classroom under the guidance of a mentor teacher. When you step into your classroom, you are ready!
-excellent connections throughout the network. Lots of room for growth with different types of mentoring (professors, coaches, etc).
-lots of PD opportunities
-well-resourced company; ability to provide students with amazing enrichment opportunities
-unique ways to grow within the company (opportunities beyond the teacher-->administrator path)

Cons

-Difficult work-life balance. AUSL guarantees that their schools will be successful and that can place a lot of pressure on teachers.
-it's a difficult time in education in general (changing standards and tests) which is difficult to balance (not AUSL's fault in any way, but it does add pressure)
-you *must* be coachable (difficult for some) and willing to grow/change

Advice to Management

Work toward a consistent message and curriculum across the network.

0 reviews filtered by
  • Any Status

Good Intentions, but...

I worked at AUSL

Pros

The mission is great and some of the schools are thriving.

Cons

If you don't work in one of the schools, there will be very little room for growth and promotion in the organization.

Advice to Management

You will not be able to keep talented employees without giving them a chance to learn and grow as a professional.

A great way to develop into a great teacher.

Current Employee - Teacher in Chicago, IL

I have been working at AUSL full-time (More than a year)

Pros

AUSL is committed to student achievement. They know that rigorous, high-quality is essential but not sufficient. They work tirelessly to create positive environments where student feel safe, take academic risks and can celebrate their successes. Personally, one of the best things about AUSL is it allows career changers, such as myself, a way to be trained for a full year with a mentor teacher, receive teaching certification, and a Masters in Teaching. I am deeply grateful that AUSL helped me accomplish all this in one calendar year and now continues to support me with a teaching coach in my first year with my own classroom. This is the good, hard work and I can say I've never been happier with a job. A final note of what impresses me about AUSL is that they are continually adapting and trying to improve everything they do. Do they have all the answers? No. They look at themselves with a critical eye and are never satisfied with "good enough." In my opinion those are exactly the sort of people you want working in school improvement.

Cons

The Residency year is difficult for anyone but if you are not well matched with your mentor teacher it is much more so. AUSL tries to make adjustments where possible. I was fortunate in this area and I think so much of my positive attitudes toward AUSL comes from my respect for my mentor and their powerful mentorship. Friends who were not so lucky generally had more negative things to say about the experience. I think getting the right mentor is a huge factor in Resident's completing the year and going on to teach in an AUSL school.

Advice to Management

Continue to invest time in making good matches of mentors and residents