There are newer employer reviews for Abbott Labs

Great place to intern. But don't get stuck there for life

Former Employee - Process Engineer in North Chicago, IL
Former Employee - Process Engineer in North Chicago, IL

I worked at Abbott Labs

Pros

Don't have to work long hours at all.
the people there are have some fun parties. And it's usually a good time when it's winter. Most of the people there are interesting and have some great skills. As an engineer I got to meet a lot of the more blue collar workers. they were wonderful! They were just great mid-west people who offered advice to me on everything from my car to my computer. there is also a pension that might be going away. so think about that. But really, the people were the best reason to stay. unfortunately, they were sad all the time.

Cons

Job satisfaction. Dealing with a budget.
Abbott does not develop their people very well. Most loyal employees have been there a long time and are still doing the same work. They really should take more advantage of the smart blue collar workers there too. Not just the analysts or engineers. If they moved around more of the blue collar workers, they could really develop them to be top notch workers. I also think it would keep them from getting either too bored or too "comfortable" with their job. A lot of people there were doing the exact same thing they were doing 10 years ago. that was SUPER scary for a young professional.

Focus on developing your people.

reviews filtered by

Could (and should) be a great place to work.

Current Employee - Project Manager in Abbott Park, IL
    Current Employee - Project Manager in Abbott Park, IL

I have been working at Abbott Labs

Pros

It is a company founded on caring for people and trying to make their lives better through health care.

Cons

There are two strata within the company. 1) Those who are below mid-management who are expected (and usually do) produce measurable results which contribute to the bottom line. 2) Mid-management and above who spend 99% of their time playing political power games and contributing nothing to the company (and at the same time making the work of the first group harder).

Promote people into senior management who actually care about our customers. The profit and recognition that you and the board are constantly seeking will follow.

If you go with the flow you can learn and grow.

Current Employee - Project Manager in North Chicago, IL
    Current Employee - Project Manager in North Chicago, IL

I have been working at Abbott Labs

Pros

There are many opportunities to move around if you want them. If you don't want to move around Abbott accepts that as well. Abbott's size is bot a good and a bad point -- as with every large company. My division has some great data warehouse tools available.

Cons

The IT support stinks, and the company is many times slow to communicate and act -- as most big companies are. If you let it Abbott will take over your life. Too many accountants creating unnecessary red tape. If we spent less time tracking money between departments we could eliminate half our accountants.

I wonder if we are not outsourcing to much and moving to much overseas. We need to ramp up our R&D spending.

There are newer employer reviews for Abbott Labs