Abbott Labs

www.abbott.com

Great benefits. Paternalistic culture. Couldn't change career path.

Former Employee - HR Manager  in  Abbott Park, IL
Former Employee - HR Manager in Abbott Park, IL

Pros

Total compensation was excellent, especially when you factor in retirement benefits. My 401K, after two years of working at Abbott, was better off than expected and in comparison to friends. I had good opportunities to work "above my pay grade" so long as I demonstrated exceptional performance. Got to work in Europe for a year and that experience was very well executed.

Cons

I wanted to move from one function to another and despite networking and getting interviews and an offer, I was asked to stay in my current function. This was not aligned with my career interests.

If someone is a high performer, allow them to pursue the passion they identified at your company.

Other reviews for Abbott Labs

Great company, but really bad managers.

Former Employee - Manager  in  Waukegan, IL
    Former Employee - Manager in Waukegan, IL

Pros

Benefits are great. The company is financially robust. Normally, a great atmosphere depending on who your boss is.

Cons

I had really lousy managers for most of my time there. That's not a reflection on the company as a whole. My co-workers with much more time in the company acknowledged that I just happened to have the worst of the worst type of luck when it came to bosses.

If You Don't Mind Leaving Massachusetts, Abbott Labs Could Be Great For You

Former Employee - Senior Manufacturer  in  Worcester, MA
    Former Employee - Senior Manufacturer in Worcester, MA

Pros

Don't require education to be respected at Abbott and in fact earlier you commence career and remain with Abbott, better off you will be.

Non base pay benefits exceed many provided by other Massachusetts companies.

Cons

Worcester site:
    Tolerant of harassment including physical harassment.
    High turnover rate for Manufacturing.
    Rather than mar PR image, employee bullying prominent to reduce Manufacturing staff.
    Reduction of Manufacturing staff and overtime to show management's ability to reduce labor costs has caused a cessation in cross training outside the plant hindering career growth for those desiring to move outside the plant environment.

May want to take claims of harassment more seriously.

There are newer employer reviews for Abbott Labs.

Worked for Abbott Labs? Contribute to the Community!