There are newer employer reviews for Abbott Labs

The transition is creating new jobs

I have been working at Abbott Labs full-time (More than 10 years)

Pros

The best part of the division is that I get to work for the 2 biggest names in the pharma business. Very large bonus checks $$$$ and confidence is high enough to buy plenty of AbbVie stock without guessing when its time to jump off.

Cons

The hype about the division is purely speculation, no perks mentioned about whether one company will benefit over the other or about the new facility. The culture at Abbott is disconnected, see Advice to Management. It is not easy looking forward to work at Abbott/AbbVie. Regarding the stupidity in the name AbbVie, the Vie in AbbVie would be a backdoor for mergers, as in AbbPfizer, AbbBax, BaxAbb, AbbJohnson, etc. now that the value is half the price, the opportunity is greater. So actually its a vision for the future, yet stupid for the person living in the now so you may want to get over it.

Advice to Management

When hiring/interviewing, look for a good fit to improve the character of your respective departments. I am a believer in the melting pot style, but I think that kind diversity has its limitations. When you bring together so many people with nothing in common you are relying on the people themselves to fuse a fracture between interests (a catalyst for communication and relationships) and to submit to new interests for the sake of creating a culture which should have been created by management for they have the power to bring personalities together. I have worked at agencies that actually put a critical value on a persons hobbies, likes and passions not only to get hired but to stay on board. If this is some type of hiring policy then it is flawed by what I can only see as disinterest. To correct what has already been set up for failure, you should have an event every month at the least, to keep your employees connected, split them up. Between family style, couples and singles events perhaps, you should see a rise in the self-esteem and the extinction of the cube dweller. This may sound like a documentary of social integration among chimps, but in some ways that is what you have created an imitation of here. If you think about the fundamental points like this: We all gather for food and to hear one main person pound their chest while we all sit quietly and behave to their requests. It relates just like a silver back gorilla would do in a primate hierarchy. If you don't create a clearly higher form of intelligence regarding social interaction, we will not be evolving as a higher form of life socially.

Other Employee Reviews for Abbott Labs

1. Great company

Pros

Development and growth of career. Love the working environment.

Cons

The location in Chicago is not ideal for someone who wants to live in the city.

2. Senior Clinical Research Associate

Pros

Good opportunities for advancement Overall great place to work- work/life balance good, people are friendly and willing to help Good pay,benefits and training

Cons

Company going through some changes right now with the upcoming split to be final by end of 2012. Alot of uncertainty about future.