Abbott Labs

There are newer employer reviews for Abbott Labs

great place to work

Former Employee - Account Executive
Former Employee - Account Executive

I worked at Abbott Labs full-time (more than 8 years)

Pros

considerate of employees
always tried to promote and hire from within
great benefits

Cons

separation of some divisions away from company

Take care of your people as you always have and you will continue to be held in high regard. Having Abbott in your resume as a previous employer is a big advantage

654 Other Employee Reviews for Abbott Labs (View Most Recent)

Abbott was a great place to work for.

Current Contractor - Lotus Notes Administrator in Abbott Park, IL
    Current Contractor - Lotus Notes Administrator in Abbott Park, IL

I have been working at Abbott Labs as a contractor (more than 8 years)

Pros

Good company. Solid business foundation.

Cons

There are no real cons for Abbott as far as I am concerned.

Keep up the good work you are doing.

Awful Company, Complete Waste of a Summer Internship-treats interns like dirt

Former Employee - Engineering Intern
    Former Employee - Engineering Intern

I worked at Abbott Labs full-time (less than a year)

Pros

Pay but that's about it-and they provide your housing and a rental car and you sleep in a nasty old apartment with lead paint on the walls in a bad neighborhood. We called the cops for domestic violence from our neighbors and people would bang on the first floor windows at night. I would have preferred a housing stipend and pick a place to live on my own.

Cons

Abbott tells you in the recruiting process that they will give you meaningful relevant tasks. In my experience, and the experience of other female interns, I was assigned tasks which consisted of neatly writing the same thing on hundreds of pieces of paper, filing papers, and placing papers into boxes. I am studying electrical engineering and none of this was relevant to an electrical engineer, or even an college student.

When I was unhappy with the filing I was doing and reached out to HR in Chicago-the intern coordinator and recruiter, I was basically told to suck it up because they were too lazy to switch the department I was in. This was despite the fact that an electrical engineer wanted me in his group where I would be doing meaningful work that would be relevant to my major.

Then, my manager asked me to lie on his behalf and was significantly upset when I said "I'm just going to be honest" which lead to more filing and mundane pointless and irrelevant tasks.

Every female engineering intern will be in a job that requires neat hand writing and paper filing. There is absolutely NOTHING to gain from an engineering internship with Abbott.

Female interns which are assertive will be interpreted as aggressive and will cause the intern coordinator to go on a power trip. You will turn down other offers for Abbott and completely regret it.

Accepting an engineering internship with Abbott is one of the WORST CAREER DECISION S YOU CAN MAKE.

Don't pay engineering interns $22/hour to file papers-they want to learn something and contribute to the company through their education

There are newer employer reviews for Abbott Labs