There are newer employer reviews for Abbott Labs

Good place to work, to have a career.

Former Employee - Pharmaceuticals Sales Representative
Former Employee - Pharmaceuticals Sales Representative

I worked at Abbott Labs full-time for more than 10 years

Pros

Provides a lot of employee services; personal and career development. Opportunity for career growth if willing to work hard and in some cases relocate. Some of the best people work there and have for a long time. Quality products.

Cons

Slow to change, and not always to easy to get things done quickly. A policy for everything, makes it hard for people to make decisions on their own. New managers from the outside don't understand the business, long learning curve, making the same mistakes.

Listen to employees more, the person closet to the problem is the closet to the solution.

602 Other Employee Reviews for Abbott Labs (View Most Recent)

great place to work

Former Employee - Account Executive
    Former Employee - Account Executive

I worked at Abbott Labs full-time for more than 8 years

Pros

considerate of employees
    always tried to promote and hire from within
    great benefits

Cons

separation of some divisions away from company

Take care of your people as you always have and you will continue to be held in high regard. Having Abbott in your resume as a previous employer is a big advantage

Tech Accountant

Former Employee - Tech Accountant  in  Abbott Park, IL
    Former Employee - Tech Accountant in Abbott Park, IL

I worked at Abbott Labs full-time for more than a year

Pros

Company offers good benefits -nothing special compare to some other companies; 18 day vaca, 7sick days for non exempt, 401K match, tuition reimbursement. You must work July 4th depending on the department. They have great nutritionist available for all employees.

Cons

I was part of a Consolidations group in the corporate finance and I have to say it was a very difficult group to work for. No training, no development, sucky management. If the managers like you then your life at work is great, if they don't then you have horrible experience like I did. Favorism is a huge part of management at Abbott - all across the board. Very resistant to any changes, lots of bitter old women that don't like to incorporate any changes, and ideas you have get shot down, they don't even want to listen to suggestions. Comments like "Check your stupidity" are on daily bases. The company is going thru restructuring after spin off and people are scared for their jobs. Morale is very low, no motivation, you just go there to work and that's it. You sit in the cube most of the day with very little interaction with others. My team had deadlines that would never be met because management kept extending them and during reviews they would blame analysts for not meeting deadlines. Their monthly close is 11 workdays which is extremely long. People say Abbott is a great place to work for, but I've been there for 16 months and I hated it since day one because of management. I've worked with a woman that was there for 23 years and didn't want to share knowledge and every time I asked her to explain something to me she pretended she didn't understand what I was talking about and always answered "I'm not sure, I don't know the answer to that". There are only few good divisions at Abbott that people enjoy working for like Nutrition but corporate finance is not one of them. My manager was so unprofessional and very fake which is a normality at Abbott. She would always talk badly about other employees in front of her group. You never hear "Great Job" and there is a lack of encouragement to do better. I got goals for year 2012 during my review in 2013 which was a joke. They have this "onboarding" process for new employees that doesn't exist. Manager don't take development seriously so don't count on having great reviews. They only promote their favorites.

Allow innovation and incorporate change. Allow younger generation to provide suggestions and take them seriously.

There are newer employer reviews for Abbott Labs

Worked for Abbott Labs? Contribute to the Community!