There are newer employer reviews for Abbott Labs

Working at Abbott has been one of the most rewarding and educational experiences I have ever had, to date

Current Employee - PDP in Chicago, IL
Current Employee - PDP in Chicago, IL

I have been working at Abbott Labs full-time (more than an year)

Pros

- The best development programs (MDP/PDP) right out of college have to be at Abbott. You will be challenged and have to work in a different functional area that's outside your comfort zone, but that's a good thing. That's how you learn and grow!
- The people are all wonderful to work with, and if you get the get the chance to work as a PDP/MDP, you will learn so much more about the various divisions, you will get incredible opportunities to network and you'll really learn what you like (and don't like).
- The benefits are nice; decent 401(k) contribution, profit sharing and a pension is offered for up to 35 years of service. You can also get free Abbott (or AbbVie) drugs too, if you are prescribed them by your doctor.

Cons

- Abbott has a fair amount of sites in the Bay Area and the cost of living adjustment that is offered can honestly be a joke, depending on where you are in your career; you will definitely get less the younger and less experienced you are.
- Networking and knowing the right people is definitely the way to get ahead in Abbott. That's not to say that a meritocracy is not in place, because there definitely is, but there's still a lot of politicking that goes on and some people may not care for that.
- Organizationally, there are probably too many managers, directors and VPs, and that makes a lot of the lower folks resentful at time. However, those guys are all still wonderful and I personally believe that they work harder than most of the lower folks in the organization
- Abbott is slow to change, but that's just the nature of the industry

Keep up with the development programs and create more 'alumni' involvement or networking opportunities for people as they progress through their careers. The idea of getting someone straight out of college and into those programs was to keep them for the long haul, but after 5 years or so, your former PDPs/MDPs will get scooped up by your competitors!

619 Other Employee Reviews for Abbott Labs (View Most Recent)

Medical device assembler,inspection.

Former Employee - Systems Administrator in Temecula, CA
    Former Employee - Systems Administrator in Temecula, CA

I worked at Abbott Labs full-time (more than 5 years)

Pros

To continue to incres better actitud to proget new proyect to the company and get more experience.

Cons

More opportunity for avance to be profesional.

Take top for good self production, seeking good comunication with the trainig people.

ok place to work

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Menlo Park, CA
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Menlo Park, CA

I have been working at Abbott Labs full-time (more than an year)

Pros

Good work life balance
    Colleagues are generally nice
    Decent pay depending on where you work
    Some interesting projects occasionally, but paperwork can be burdensome to get them pushed through

Cons

Management can be awful depending on the division and has the mentality to treat people as replaceable, so there is a correspondingly low retention rate. I also don't feel as though I've gained any skills that I can market myself with in the past few years.

Learn what you're doing, and realize you need to treat people with respect. All the good people have left or are in the process of leaving, and the thought process is still to just plug in another body. It's not a sustainable way to run an organization.

There are newer employer reviews for Abbott Labs