Abbott Labs

www.abbott.com
There are newer employer reviews for Abbott Labs

Overall, good so far

I have been working at Abbott Labs

Pros

Great people, relaxed atmosphere, 9-5

Cons

Slow paced, a lot of politics

628 Other Employee Reviews for Abbott Labs (View Most Recent)

Intern

Former Employee - Engineering Intern in North Chicago, IL
    Former Employee - Engineering Intern in North Chicago, IL

I worked at Abbott Labs as an intern (less than an year)

Pros

The resources provided to employees is great and I was given projects that were relevant to my major and I felt made a positive contribution to the company.

Cons

There are not many to talk about, I had a good experience here and learned a lot of things. The division I was placed in had a lot of PhD employees, which made it difficult to grasp some concepts

Subpar IT division.

Former Employee - Global Service Desk Representative in North Chicago, IL
    Former Employee - Global Service Desk Representative in North Chicago, IL

I worked at Abbott Labs as a contractor (less than an year)

Pros

None to speak of. Got paid- that's about it.

Cons

If you're in IT, you don't want to work here. Cheap contracts offered to Abbott/Abbvie preferred vendors- offer no benefits or even decent health insurance to the actual employee doing the work- and this from a 'drug company' who cares about health? Ridiculous.

Overly conservative corporate greed to the maximum offers no chance for moving up within the GIS division, even when you apply for a role you have experience in. Let alone the hassle to try to apply for a better job within the IT division once you are already working with them- you have to go through another contracting company- no internal postings.

Dysfunctional policies and more concerned with cheap labor and financial numbers than giving incentives to train and retain quality IT talent for a better future. The company obviously doesn't care about keeping people in IT, when the 30 years of service folks who retire in the next 5 years finally do leave, one can tell they will be replaced with cheap contract labor and the place will only get worse. Its a shame these Greed Over People companies are not regulated more to prevent taking away of rights of the american people and american workers.

North Chicago location getting worse by the minute, employees cars being broken into more often in evening hours. Two lots closed due to a recent break in. Couldn't afford the risk of that- had to leave. Shouldn't have to pay a $500 deductible out of my own pocket if my car is broken into on their property. Won't take the risk.

Management harasses you about smoking when you are in the designated area and on your personal break. Its your right- its harassment anti-smoking nazis. I brought this to the attention of the contracting company I was working with before leaving that dump. Never in my career had I been harassed like that before. Unacceptable and angering.

Can get better compensation, better hours, and a safer work environment elsewhere. Not to mention all the spiders running around M1 when I was there. Awful.

Worst management, staff, compensation, polices and amenities of anywhere that I have worked at in the last 15 years. Abbott/Abbvie are bottom of the barrel. Their most profitable year was this past year- yet home office of North Chicago is in a ghetto that transformed into one, on their watch. Seems they don't care about anything but money and making their investors rich at the expense of the town the conduct business in and people who do their work. Preposterous. Go figure. Two words: Corporate Greed. Stay away.

Review Matthew 6:24 and consider training and retaining good IT staff. No one wants to work for a company who's only concern is ROI that goes to some shareholder who doesn't care about the people who do the actual work.

There are newer employer reviews for Abbott Labs