There are newer employer reviews for Abercrombie & Fitch

Decent part time job if doing school

Current Employee - Sales Associate in Miami, FL
Current Employee - Sales Associate in Miami, FL

I have been working at Abercrombie & Fitch part-time (More than a year)

Pros

cool people, casual environment, young and fun, clothing discount, flexible schedule at times, managers were also young so most understood things that were happening

Cons

pay was not that great, depending on the store and the volume would depend on how many hours were given to associates, managers sometimes showed favoritism

0 reviews filtered by
  • Any Status

Working for a moral vacuum.

Former Employee - Assistant Manager in Ann Arbor, MI
    Former Employee - Assistant Manager in Ann Arbor, MI

I worked at Abercrombie & Fitch full-time (More than a year)

Pros

The work in itself is extremely easy, and it can be a very fun work environment - you're always surrounded by young, attractive, charismatic people.

Cons

The company is shameless in the way it manipulates and uses its employees. There is a constant pressure to recruit more, better looking employees (when at my store we were grossly overstaffed and had more than twice the employees we were supposed to) and to fire employees who didn't get 'approved.' (Or, more commonly, to make life hell for them until they voluntarily left.) In my district there was a competition to see if we could recruit enough to completely turn over our staff every 4 months. This is a) nearly impossible and b) no way to actually run a business. As for professional development, it is what you make of it. If you make a conscious, individual effort to learn logistics and management, then it's possible that you will. However, the company doesn't actually evaluate their managers based on running the store, but on how many 'approved' models they recruit. Because of this, your store manager (and probably district manager) will be hopelessly inept and you will spend a lot of time cleaning up after them or enduring their awful scheduling and management mistakes. (They were promoted for their recruiting skills, NOT their management abilities.) I was literally told, word for word, after my 6 month interview; "You're doing great on all the stuff we talked about here, but.. honestly, none of it matters. Just get more approvals." Because of this single-minded focus on recruiting, customer service is extraordinarily bad. The company doesn't care about the customer experience, so no customer complaints are followed up on and you as a manager have no power to fix difficult situations. So your 'customer service' experience will be completely limited to just hearing irate mothers scream at you about your horrible policies and store atmosphere every day and being able to do nothing whatsoever for them. These kinds of decisions explain why the company is doing so poorly financially, and they show absolutely no sign of being willing to change. And finally, when I turned in my notice that I would be leaving the company, I was fired two days into that notice. After consulting other former managers, this is apparently the norm for A&F; a sort of "you can't leave us, we're leaving you" response. That last event in a very long line of unprofessional conduct confirmed that I had made the right decision.

Pro's and Con's for A&F

Former Employee - District Manager in Nashville, TN
    Former Employee - District Manager in Nashville, TN

I worked at Abercrombie & Fitch full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

- High energy, team oriented atmosphere. - Chance to move up FAST - Cool, hip and young workforce - Lots of responsibility very quickly

Cons

- Unlimited work week...you are never really away from work. It's going to be your life - If you aren't "cool" or good looking enough, you'll hit a glass ceiling. Lots of favoritism in this as well. - For the most part, company views employees as expendable. A new crop of recent graduates looking for jobs are out there for them and the don't really value your time with them.

Advice to Management

- Value your full time employees more....they are the face of your brand much more than the marketing you spend so much time on. - Honesty with people. If someone isn't going to get that next level job they want, just tell them. Some will be fine with the job they are in or can look at another route up in the company. - Move people where they want to be moved instead of wherever you need a quick fix.