Abercrombie & Fitch

www.abercrombie.com
  www.abercrombie.com
There are newer employer reviews for Abercrombie & Fitch

Great place straight out of college; expect to work a random schedule and a lot of weekends

Former Employee - Store Manager in Miami, FL
Former Employee - Store Manager in Miami, FL

I worked at Abercrombie & Fitch full-time (more than an year)

Pros

Great coworkers who are also young and active. Great training program to integrate you easily. Get a lot of responsibility -- managing stores with minimum of 80 part-time associates, developing schedules, organizing shipment/stockroom. If you work hard, have a positive and outgoing attitude, then you can get promoted very quickly and they only promote at store level from within. Also have awesome opportunities to travel abroad. Amazing medical and vacation benefits that begin almost immediately, but the pay is not quite as competitive as other competing small retailers.

Cons

Schedules are rarely predictable and you will often work weekends especially during your first 6-8 months. Long hours on your feet, dark lighting especially in Hollister stores. The company is very detail oriented which is great, but also leaves very little room for any creativity or individual recognition. Very stringent store expectations, difficult to always follow and upper management can be very unforgiving.

Don't hold your managers to extreme goals that feel overwhelming or unobtainable. Be realistic and be positive. Give praise and support. Be honest -- don't lead managers to believe they will get promoted if you've already decided they have no opportunities for movement anymore.

2337 Other Employee Reviews for Abercrombie & Fitch (View Most Recent)

Mixed Feeling about a Failing Retailer

Current Employee - Store Manager in Phoenix, AZ
    Current Employee - Store Manager in Phoenix, AZ

I have been working at Abercrombie & Fitch full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

I have worked for the Abercrombie & Fitch Company for four years now, both as a part time associate and at the management level.

-The stores are fun to work at, lively and have a good vibe about them.
    -It is a clean and easy job.
    -Management is not expected to fold clothing and we have freedom to do what we wish in the stores.
    - Abercrombie stores are everywhere, thus transferring locations is very easy.
    -Associate discount can be up to 40% for full time employees.
    -Great medical benefits!
    -The stores are very tight knit and everyone is friends with everyone.

Cons

-A&F has a tendency to harbor shady management on all levels of the company. The turnover rate for management is absolutely incredible, and 90% of the turnover is due to firing of management (internal theft, dishonesty, sexual harassment, discount abuse). You name it, I've heard it.
    -A&F is not competitive with wages and salaries. ALL part timers are making minimum wage and management is making among the lowest retail management salaries in the industry.
    -The company is failing incredibly profit wise. Both Ruehl and Gilly Hicks (A&F owned brands) have folded in a three year time period. I do not see A&F being around 10 years from now with the same facade, type of clothing or company goals.
    -The time frame for promotions from store management level to district level or home office level vary greatly. I've seen equally qualified store managers get promoted to a higher level in a 2 year time period, while it's taken others up to 6 years. Favoritism and physical appearance are the only factors in promotions within A&F.

Overall, A&F has been good to me, with some major drawbacks. I am overall very pessimistic about the future of this company.

Really demeaning

Current Employee - Floor Model
    Current Employee - Floor Model

I have been working at Abercrombie & Fitch part-time

Pros

Great group of upbeat workers

Cons

Seemed to criticize customers a lot

There are newer employer reviews for Abercrombie & Fitch