Abt Associates
www.abtassociates.com Cambridge, MA 1000 to 5000 Employees

Abt is a great first job, but not a place to grow as a young professional

Research Assistant (Former Employee)
Bethesda, MD

ProsAbt was a great first job. While all employees are expected to work 40 hours/week, how that time is distributed across the week is flexible, as long as you are generally available to do the tasks you need to do. There is a definite positive family/work-life balance. I worked on a diverse range of project topics, and my tasks also ranged from your typical "junior employee" jobs (making copies, sending emails, organizing emails) to more advanced experiences, such as going on site visits and participating in interviewing program participants and staff.

ConsThere is very little incentive to stay here as a junior-level employee after the first year or two. The tuition reimbursement program is limited compared to other similar companies - they offer less reimbursement per year and expect employees to work more hours in order to be eligible. Without a Masters degree, it is difficult to move up through the company beyond the first promotion cycle. It can be difficult to be placed on projects that are specific to your research interests. Starting salaries are also lower than at other similar companies.

Advice to Senior ManagementInvest some more time and money into junior level staff so that they are more likely to stay and grow with the company.

Good overall, but has some problems

Communications (Current Employee)
    Bethesda, MD

I have been working at Abt Associates full-time for more than 3 years

Pros: Great mission, smart people, generally collaborative culture Cons: Some senior leaders consistently make commitments that are unrealistic for… Advice to Senior Management: Top management needs to be aware of what is going on with staff in specific departments. Department leaders present a picture of a… No, I would not recommend this company to a friend More

Great place to start a career

Associate Analyst (Current Employee)
    Cambridge, MA

I have been working at Abt Associates full-time for more than a year

Pros: Abt Associates is a well-respected government contractor in a variety of fields, and is growing rapidly. As a result staff are exposed to many different… Cons: Junior staff need to be active in networking, building relationships, and seeking out the kind of work that they're interested in. If not, one runs… Advice to Senior Management: Be transparent with employees about business outlook (there were some issues with hiding the true cost of the sequester). Invest more in management training. Also… Yes, I would recommend this company to a friend – I'm optimistic about the outlook for this company… More
There are newer reviews on Abt Associates.

Worked for Abt Associates? Contribute to the Community!

Glassdoor is your free inside look at Abt Associates reviews and ratings — including employee satisfaction and approval rating for Abt Associates CEO Kathleen L. Flanagan. All reviews posted anonymously by Abt Associates employees.