There are newer employer reviews for Academy Sports & Outdoors

Got me through unemployment, but soon realized it wasn't what I expected.

Former Employee - Cashier Team Lead
Former Employee - Cashier Team Lead

I worked at Academy Sports & Outdoors full-time (less than a year)

Pros

*Great pay for retail
*Ability to move to other departments
*Thorough training
*Easy interview
*Full time employees receive cigna benefits at reasonable prices

As a cashier team lead, I loved my job duties and I had great staff.

Cons

*You can be moved to another department regardless of your will or want
*Black shirts are the final say — and have no say as corporate controls HR
*Theft is high - both from customers and fellow employees as lockers are assigned, but there's not one for each employee
*Often told to take initiative and then when you do, you're scolded for your actions (as a lead)
*You ALWAYS have to "partner" with a "black shirt" to have a "conversation" about an employee's set-backs or problem areas. Nothing can be done without "partnering," which means you have to wait around to address issues. If the "black shirt" or "senior" doesn't think you're doing your assessment to their standards, they may not support you.
*Full time employees can't receive overtime, which means their shifts get cut short throughout the week. Usually, this occurs without the knowledge of a team lead (often times, seniors are unaware as well because communication from the AA is between the AA and the black shirt). Which means there's often a lack of coverage somewhere.

I was told moving up in the company was easy, when in fact, you're only given a progress report when you're not doing things to "standard," when there's no upkeep in training — as a cashier team lead, I'm expected to know merchandising standards of ALL areas; however, I was given those standards two months before the store was active and was not given time to team up with those department leads to ensure I understood.

Advice to Management

Give leads more in-store flexibility as far as disciplining employees go and making decisions. Senior leads should have more responsibility of managing their departments. There should be one black shirt for each department (front end/customer service, loss prevention and receiving, hunting/fishing/camping, team sports, footwear, and apparel. The black shirts should have far more flexibility and hands-on work with their staff members.

reviews filtered by

I've been able to move up from the stores to the corporate office with great opportunities to where I currently am.

Current Employee - Space Planner in Katy, TX
    Current Employee - Space Planner in Katy, TX

I have been working at Academy Sports & Outdoors full-time (more than 10 years)

Pros

Best part about working at Academy is the environment of positive people. Another greatness about working at Academy is the opportunity to be apart of a growing organization with large goals in mind.

Cons

Communication of micro company goals. Training and development across all areas of the corporate office. Clear career path goals set as promised. Promotions from within the company to allow for internal growth within the company. Employee discount used to be awesome, health insurance went from okay to bad increasing costs of co-pays to specialty doctors. And vacation use is more monitored to where you can't take time as desired. Pay is not that great within each specialty field. Directors, Sr. Directors, VPs, and SR. VPs don't pay much attention to the base level employees to know what they do or who they are.

Advice to Management

Invest more in the employees that work hard and that invest their time to better the company. Communicate more on specific directives and goals the company is working towards. Set career path goals to all associates not just select associates that need to move from one area to another. Invest more training and cross training within the personnel that currently exists within the corporate office. Allow for career pathing and training to those individuals that desire to move from the store to the corp office. On the benefit side of things, give opportunities to allow all associates to invest in the company, instead of just Sr. Management. Give associates better options for health plans that don't cost so much to use in co-pays. Give more opportunities for employee discounts. Look into additional vacation time and/or time off every other Fridays like many of the Houston area oil companies. Give associates time off as they choose if they have time left whenever they desire to do so. In order to be home with their families. Lastly don't cap sick time.

2. customer

Current Intern - Student in San Antonio, TX
    Current Intern - Student in San Antonio, TX

I have been working at Academy Sports & Outdoors as an intern (less than a year)

Pros

workers do a good jobs

Cons

some items are a little expensive.

Advice to Management

lower some of your prices to bring in more coustmers.

There are newer employer reviews for Academy Sports & Outdoors