Academy Sports & Outdoors

www.academy.com

Got me through unemployment, but soon realized it wasn't what I expected.

Cashier Team Lead (Former Employee)

Pros*Great pay for retail
*Ability to move to other departments
*Thorough training
*Easy interview
*Full time employees receive cigna benefits at reasonable prices

As a cashier team lead, I loved my job duties and I had great staff.

Cons*You can be moved to another department regardless of your will or want
*Black shirts are the final say — and have no say as corporate controls HR
*Theft is high - both from customers and fellow employees as lockers are assigned, but there's not one for each employee
*Often told to take initiative and then when you do, you're scolded for your actions (as a lead)
*You ALWAYS have to "partner" with a "black shirt" to have a "conversation" about an employee's set-backs or problem areas. Nothing can be done without "partnering," which means you have to wait around to address issues. If the "black shirt" or "senior" doesn't think you're doing your assessment to their standards, they may not support you.
*Full time employees can't receive overtime, which means their shifts get cut short throughout the week. Usually, this occurs without the knowledge of a team lead (often times, seniors are unaware as well because communication from the AA is between the AA and the black shirt). Which means there's often a lack of coverage somewhere.

I was told moving up in the company was easy, when in fact, you're only given a progress report when you're not doing things to "standard," when there's no upkeep in training — as a cashier team lead, I'm expected to know merchandising standards of ALL areas; however, I was given those standards two months before the store was active and was not given time to team up with those department leads to ensure I understood.

Advice to Senior ManagementGive leads more in-store flexibility as far as disciplining employees go and making decisions. Senior leads should have more responsibility of managing their departments. There should be one black shirt for each department (front end/customer service, loss prevention and receiving, hunting/fishing/camping, team sports, footwear, and apparel. The black shirts should have far more flexibility and hands-on work with their staff members.

It all depends on your managers at your specific location.

I have been working at Academy Sports & Outdoors

Pros: Opportunity to work on your own and with a team… Cons: Management can micromanage and nit pick at your work or… Advice to Senior Management: Work with employees don't just tell them what to do. More

Decent short term job during school

Sales (Former Employee) Athens, GA

I worked at Academy Sports & Outdoors part-time

Pros: Flexible schedule during college years Cons: management sucked and was never satisfied Advice to Senior Management: give better feedback to employees No, I would not recommend this company to a friend More

There are newer reviews on Academy Sports & Outdoors.

Worked for Academy Sports & Outdoors? Contribute to the Community!