There are newer employer reviews for Academy Sports & Outdoors

It went downhill about 3-4 months into my employment.

Former Employee - Cashier Team Lead in Olathe, KS
Former Employee - Cashier Team Lead in Olathe, KS

I worked at Academy Sports & Outdoors full-time (less than a year)

Pros

-Above average pay for team-lead position

Cons

-If you're not in your managers back pocket, you're going to get dogged on
-Unreasonable expectations based on training
-Hours are made by favoritism
-Everything is done at the corporate level
-Point system is only enforced on people management wants to get rid of
-If you do something you're told, you're penalized.
-If you do something you're told to take initiative on, you're penalized.
-You're penalized for having overtime because management didn't schedule enough personnel to complete tasks
-Promised promotion opportunities; wasn't in my manager's back pocket, so I wasn't considered.

Just because a store director has 16 years of experience, doesn't mean s/he is an affective store director. Put more emphasis on in-store management. Provide training courses to management on management techniques; the team leads and senior team leads in my particular store had better management techniques than upper management.

reviews filtered by
  1. Overall a great part-time experience for someone still in school.

Current Employee - Apparel Sales Associate in Mesquite, TX
    Current Employee - Apparel Sales Associate in Mesquite, TX

I have been working at Academy Sports & Outdoors part-time (more than a year)

Pros

Associates receive a 20% discount on regularly priced items. Flexible schedules. Management does a good job working with full time students. A good environment to gain customer service and sales experience.

Cons

Always on your feet which could be problematic for some. Working holidays can be a downside but all things considered Academy respects its employees. Especially by staying closed on Thanksgiving.

Improve enterprise software.

2. Got me through unemployment, but soon realized it wasn't what I expected.

Former Employee - Cashier Team Lead
    Former Employee - Cashier Team Lead

I worked at Academy Sports & Outdoors full-time (less than a year)

Pros

*Great pay for retail
    *Ability to move to other departments
    *Thorough training
    *Easy interview
    *Full time employees receive cigna benefits at reasonable prices

As a cashier team lead, I loved my job duties and I had great staff.

Cons

*You can be moved to another department regardless of your will or want
    *Black shirts are the final say — and have no say as corporate controls HR
    *Theft is high - both from customers and fellow employees as lockers are assigned, but there's not one for each employee
    *Often told to take initiative and then when you do, you're scolded for your actions (as a lead)
    *You ALWAYS have to "partner" with a "black shirt" to have a "conversation" about an employee's set-backs or problem areas. Nothing can be done without "partnering," which means you have to wait around to address issues. If the "black shirt" or "senior" doesn't think you're doing your assessment to their standards, they may not support you.
    *Full time employees can't receive overtime, which means their shifts get cut short throughout the week. Usually, this occurs without the knowledge of a team lead (often times, seniors are unaware as well because communication from the AA is between the AA and the black shirt). Which means there's often a lack of coverage somewhere.

I was told moving up in the company was easy, when in fact, you're only given a progress report when you're not doing things to "standard," when there's no upkeep in training — as a cashier team lead, I'm expected to know merchandising standards of ALL areas; however, I was given those standards two months before the store was active and was not given time to team up with those department leads to ensure I understood.

Give leads more in-store flexibility as far as disciplining employees go and making decisions. Senior leads should have more responsibility of managing their departments. There should be one black shirt for each department (front end/customer service, loss prevention and receiving, hunting/fishing/camping, team sports, footwear, and apparel. The black shirts should have far more flexibility and hands-on work with their staff members.

There are newer employer reviews for Academy Sports & Outdoors