There are newer employer reviews for Academy Sports & Outdoors

Started off great, but can be extremely stressful.

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Katy, TX
Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Katy, TX

I have been working at Academy Sports & Outdoors full-time (more than a year)

Pros

There is plenty of room to grow and work your way up. Easy networking throughout the company.

Cons

Home-life/personal time is non-existent, internal/external partnership (vendors and between departments) is poor, "every man for himself" atmosphere even within a single team.

Encouragement can go a long way. Being more selective of hiring would help the performance.

reviews filtered by
  1. Less stressful elsewhere

I worked at Academy Sports & Outdoors part-time (less than a year)

Pros

20% discount, hour long break, some of the associates were great to work with

Cons

The point system is ridiculous and unforgiving. Even if you show up with a doctors note you still get points. If a person is legitimately sick and have a doctors note to prove it then why should they still be punished? Hours are inconsistent, you could work 10 hours one week and 28 the next week without notice. Then hours get cut, some people get sent home as soon as they arrive, some are called shortly before their shift and told not to come in. This leaves just about every department with only one person, sometimes there would be no one working in a department and other associates are left to bs their way through for customers when really they have no idea about the stuff in that department. The more they cut hours the more associates are overworked when they're alone in a department, which eventually causes them to quit.

Associates are forced to change departments whether they want to or not. And they're told to come in for training but not to clock in so they train for two hours without pay. If you're in school they won't care, if you tell them that finals are coming up and you need less work hours to study you're better off just quitting. They seem to expect your life to revolve around academy and frankly it doesn't and never will.

Managers hardly ever chip in to help when it's needed, sometimes if a customer asks them for help they'll call another associate to do it while they wander around doing nothing or hang out at the gun counter. Training is minimal, they expect you to know what to do the first time after reading 5 slides on the computer then get mad when you ask for help.

Some team leads and senior leads are awesome and others clearly don't want to be at work and don't want to be bothered. My team lead never wanted to delegate tasks because she thought we'd "screw everything up" becuase we're all "idiots" even though she's the lead and she's supposed to be showing us how to do things. I don't know about you but I don't want to work under someone like that.

Get rid of the point system or at least change it so that people with legit absences (sick, death in the family, etc.) aren't penalized for something beyond their control. And do a better job at choosing team leads. My store had some of the greatest but unfortunately some, including the one I worked under, clearly didn't want to be there or be bothered by customers or associates. And no one wants to work under a person that calls them an idiot.

2. Good Place to Work

Former Employee - Sales Associate in Abilene, TX
    Former Employee - Sales Associate in Abilene, TX

I worked at Academy Sports & Outdoors part-time (less than a year)

Pros

Team cohesion through stores. Flexible hours.

Cons

Low starting wages for experienced individuals.

Increase starting wages based on education/experience to appreciate such attributes.

There are newer employer reviews for Academy Sports & Outdoors