Academy Sports & Outdoors

www.academy.com

Too corporate

Current Employee - Team Lead  in  Cedar Park, TX
Current Employee - Team Lead in Cedar Park, TX

Pros

Flexable schedule made it easy to attend college. Good vacation policy, after 5 years you get 3 weeks and after 10 you get a full month.

Cons

Company has lost its family owned feel and has become more corporate. This was the main reason for staying this long. The company used to close on major holidays and is now open for Easter.

Other reviews for Academy Sports & Outdoors

It's retail

Current Employee - Team Sports Sales Associate
    Current Employee - Team Sports Sales Associate

Pros

Employee discount is better than most places, co workers are awesome. Fast pace, always something to do. Good system for requesting off, everything is online so its accessible from almost anywhere.

Cons

Academy uses a top stock system in stead of a stock room so there is a lot of climbing ladders. If you can't stand climbing ladders all day, consider cashier or apparel. It's retail so you should know what to expect. Closing takes longer than it should, at the store I work at if we are really slow we will leave 30 minutes after closing, but if we are busy I always expect to stay a couple hours after even if I am finished with my own department shortly after closing.

Instead of stressing about weekly/monthly visits and cramming more projects all at once the day or so before a visit to get your store looking in tip top shape, get your team leads and seniors to assign tasks accordingly to their departments so you are always prepared for a visit and we can leave when scheduled to leave.

Good job while in school

Pros

The discounts were great. I enjoyed selling guns and learning about the products on 3point5.com. Also I enjoyed helping the customers

Cons

Managers micromanage even small tasks. I felt like I had no opportunity for advancement. Never had a raise during the couple years I worked there, and was told I would.

Give opportunities for your better employees for promotion. It shouldn't take a person with a BS in Business Management four years to move into a management position while managers with no college and disrespectful attitudes rule the store.

There are newer employer reviews for Academy Sports & Outdoors.

Worked for Academy Sports & Outdoors? Contribute to the Community!