There are newer employer reviews for Academy Sports & Outdoors

They are just like any other retailer but they are good at working around your schedule.

Current Employee - Cashier Team Lead  in  Lubbock, TX
Current Employee - Cashier Team Lead in Lubbock, TX

I have been working at Academy Sports & Outdoors part-time for more than 5 years

Pros

It is a very easy job that requires little thought. It would be hard to get fired from this store. The only real way to get fired is to steal or to accumulate to many attendance points resulting in termination. I like the people i work with. That makes the days go by faster and makes it far more enjoyable.

Cons

It's retail.... sometimes other co-workers like to slack off forcing you to carry their weight. Some times they poor a lot of work on-top of you and they want you to stop and help every customer. You will work late some nights when you close.

Try to make it more enjoyable. They hardly care about their employes desire to come to work.

389 Other Employee Reviews for Academy Sports & Outdoors (View Most Recent)

Good job while in school

I worked at Academy Sports & Outdoors part-time

Pros

The discounts were great. I enjoyed selling guns and learning about the products on 3point5.com. Also I enjoyed helping the customers

Cons

Managers micromanage even small tasks. I felt like I had no opportunity for advancement. Never had a raise during the couple years I worked there, and was told I would.

Give opportunities for your better employees for promotion. It shouldn't take a person with a BS in Business Management four years to move into a management position while managers with no college and disrespectful attitudes rule the store.

It's retail

Current Employee - Team Sports Sales Associate
    Current Employee - Team Sports Sales Associate

I have been working at Academy Sports & Outdoors part-time for more than a year

Pros

Employee discount is better than most places, co workers are awesome. Fast pace, always something to do. Good system for requesting off, everything is online so its accessible from almost anywhere.

Cons

Academy uses a top stock system in stead of a stock room so there is a lot of climbing ladders. If you can't stand climbing ladders all day, consider cashier or apparel. It's retail so you should know what to expect. Closing takes longer than it should, at the store I work at if we are really slow we will leave 30 minutes after closing, but if we are busy I always expect to stay a couple hours after even if I am finished with my own department shortly after closing.

Instead of stressing about weekly/monthly visits and cramming more projects all at once the day or so before a visit to get your store looking in tip top shape, get your team leads and seniors to assign tasks accordingly to their departments so you are always prepared for a visit and we can leave when scheduled to leave.

There are newer employer reviews for Academy Sports & Outdoors

Worked for Academy Sports & Outdoors? Contribute to the Community!