There are newer employer reviews for Academy for Educational Development

Good overall, but has its downsides

Current Employee - Web and Database Developer in Washington, DC
Current Employee - Web and Database Developer in Washington, DC

I have been working at Academy for Educational Development

Pros

Nice people, pleasant office space filled with art, frequent cultural and educational events open to all staff. Quite good benefits.

Cons

Serving in a technical role (web and database developer for one of AED's projects) I feel too far removed from having a direct positive impact on any of the areas in which AED works. I've also been frustrated by the IT department, which is inflexible when it comes to their policies. For example, Remote Desktop Connection is also blocked, which makes it very difficult for me to work from home. I'm sure that inflexible IT policies are not unique to AED, but it's new to me, coming from a college environment that was much more permissive. Working in a technical role in this organization can be isolating, because there is no network amongst other staff doing similar work for other projects. In my job, I have no technical mentor or anyone who can review my design decisions.

Advice to Management

On the right track.

0 reviews filtered by
  • Any Status

A great place to learn, move up, then move on.

Former Employee - Program Officer in Washington, DC
    Former Employee - Program Officer in Washington, DC

I worked at Academy for Educational Development

Pros

AED is a thought and practice leader in government contracting around so many types of social issues. It is a great place to start your career and gain transferable skills while you figure out your own interests and talents. If you get the right manager, AED central services provides great resources for personal and professional development. It is easy to move up and to gain great skills that are recognized throughout the international development community. They have great infrastructure and facilities for a non-profit and are located in a nice location to work. The roof deck is a major perk.

Cons

It's a large place and easy to get stuck with a less-than-forward-thinking manager who does not always see the big picture. They have major leadership pipeline issues: many upper level staff get too bogged down in administrative or programmatic tasks instead of being strategic leaders. Some senior managers have work-life balance issues and expect the same level of commitment from their underpaid staff. Compared to other organizations, there are very few opportunities for international travel for lower and mid level employees. The organization does not have a strategic communications strategy- neither internal nor external, and could benefit from some better reflection on the way that they talk to their employees.

Advice to Management

Do a social network analysis to compare the informal relationship realities with the formal organizational structure.

Good for international opportunities, bad for getting ahead.

Current Employee - Technical Officer I in Washington, DC
    Current Employee - Technical Officer I in Washington, DC

I have been working at Academy for Educational Development

Pros

The breadth and depth of the knowledge of international projects that AED employees work on is incredible. They are in over 80 countries around the globe and have wonderful opportunities to participate in these programs.

Cons

Usually when you get hired, they low-ball your offer. You can talk them up however. They also offer full benefits, but watch out for the medical plan that the doctors you want to see are covered. Many of the popular doctors under the larger health plans in DC are NOT in the health plan they offer. Also watch out if you're a short timer -- retirement doesn't kick in until one year on the job.

Advice to Management

Truth in advertising -- please don't say one thing, yet do another. It's a bit disingenuous.