Academy for Educational Development

www.aed.org
Profile Unclaimed
There are newer employer reviews for Academy for Educational Development

Good overall, but has its downsides

Current Employee - Web and Database Developer in Washington, DC
Current Employee - Web and Database Developer in Washington, DC

I have been working at Academy for Educational Development

Pros

Nice people, pleasant office space filled with art, frequent cultural and educational events open to all staff. Quite good benefits.

Cons

Serving in a technical role (web and database developer for one of AED's projects) I feel too far removed from having a direct positive impact on any of the areas in which AED works. I've also been frustrated by the IT department, which is inflexible when it comes to their policies. For example, Remote Desktop Connection is also blocked, which makes it very difficult for me to work from home. I'm sure that inflexible IT policies are not unique to AED, but it's new to me, coming from a college environment that was much more permissive.

Working in a technical role in this organization can be isolating, because there is no network amongst other staff doing similar work for other projects. In my job, I have no technical mentor or anyone who can review my design decisions.

On the right track.

19 Other Employee Reviews for Academy for Educational Development (View Most Recent)

Good for international opportunities, bad for getting ahead.

Current Employee - Technical Officer I in Washington, DC
    Current Employee - Technical Officer I in Washington, DC

I have been working at Academy for Educational Development

Pros

The breadth and depth of the knowledge of international projects that AED employees work on is incredible. They are in over 80 countries around the globe and have wonderful opportunities to participate in these programs.

Cons

Usually when you get hired, they low-ball your offer. You can talk them up however. They also offer full benefits, but watch out for the medical plan that the doctors you want to see are covered. Many of the popular doctors under the larger health plans in DC are NOT in the health plan they offer. Also watch out if you're a short timer -- retirement doesn't kick in until one year on the job.

Truth in advertising -- please don't say one thing, yet do another. It's a bit disingenuous.

Great potential that ended too early

Former Employee - Technical Advisor
    Former Employee - Technical Advisor

I worked at Academy for Educational Development full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

Smart, motivated people who knew what they were doing. There was a buzz and excitement working there.

Cons

A reluctance to break out of silos. A shame that AED became the poster child for accountability and that the toll was so high.

There are newer employer reviews for Academy for Educational Development