Extreme corruption, serious violations of government regulations, manipulated finance reports, much misuse of funds.

Former Employee - Senior Finance Manager  in  Washington, DC
Former Employee - Senior Finance Manager in Washington, DC

I worked at Academy for Educational Development

Pros

I wonderful mission, many good employees who were not given the opportunity to share their knowledge. Solid reputation and great potential to make a difference in the world.

Cons

Currupt Human Resources, serious violations of funds expenditures, very high hidden bonus to management, manipulation of budget structiures in several bids, Manipulated reports to USAID regularly on project expenditures. Senior manager taking positions overseas but still receiving the same high salary as Senior VP plus expat benefits.

Stop the corruption. Internal politics. Allow finance managers to perform their jobs according to Federal regulations. Stop manipulation of overhead in order to win contracts from multilateral organizations and foundations.

Other Reviews for Academy for Educational Development

Be prepared for an absolutely ridiculous low-ball salary offer

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee  in  Washington, DC
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Washington, DC

I worked at Academy for Educational Development

Pros

Tons of trainings and professional development opportunities are offered, if you can make them work into your work schedule. Some supervisors are more helpful than others in facilitating this

Cons

Salaries are significantly lower than competitors, mandatory 9 hour days impede work life balance. Benefits were just OK. My particular supervisor was TERRIBLE and their HR processes weren't at all prepared to deal with grievances about a supervisor, only about subordinates

360 review process might help to identify managers like mine who have no business being in supervisory positions. Exit interviews might also be a useful tool

I now know what its like to live as a serf in the days of old....

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee  in  Washington, DC
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Washington, DC

I have been working at Academy for Educational Development

Pros

If you are in a good position, you can pursue your own projects and funding.
    Lots of talented people at AED.
    Physical work environment good.
    The Mission is good, but it seems to be only words

Cons

The competitive environment between centers inhibits collaboration and lowers the quality of work we are able to do.
    Senior management are only interested in new business development or when there are problems. There seems to be little or no concern for the quality of our work.
    Positive performance is not recognized. But when there are problems, you can be attacked.
    Management is top-down with little focus on a person's humanity.
    There are no mechanisms to communicate up the chain.
    There is a culture of self-censorship that seems to arise from a fear of reprisal
    Promotions are handled first from a political perspective.
    Senior management states that technical excellence is AED's most valued asset. However, all promotions and recognition are provide for people in management positions with little or no technical capacity.
    Some teams are really dysfunctional.
    Performance assessment process is a joke and purely an administrative task.
    The disparity between the lowest salaries and the highest are embarrassing for a non-profit.
    If someone needs to be paid over $300K for the privilege to make a positive difference in the world than something is really wrong and they should go to the private sector. We cannot be dedicated to our mission if we have to paid so much.

Open and use your ears.
    Create a 360 degree assessment process.
    Destroy the culture of self-censorship
    Create policies that will punish internal competition and rewards collaboration
    Live the mission. Focus more on excellent work and less on business development
    Reduce the salary disparity and lower the top salaries to no more than $300K

There are newer employer reviews for Academy for Educational Development.

Worked for Academy for Educational Development? Contribute to the Community!