There are newer employer reviews for Academy for Educational Development

A corrupted place with no credibility to work with corrupted governments

Current Employee - Analyst M&E in Washington, DC
Current Employee - Analyst M&E in Washington, DC

Pros

Great location! Some very talented and competent staff.

Cons

I wonder how the organization can work on behalf of the US Government and lead programs that support, protect and promote values such as transparency, gender equality, anti corruption, advocacy, healthy lifestyles when it does not practice it! I'm at a loss for words trying to comprehend how AED continues to get ridiculous amounts of money from our government when the economy is so bad.

Advice to Management

Return the money to tax payers, stop corruption and treat your employees with dignity and respect. And fire some many of the top senior and mid level managers that perpetuate an environment of fear and corruption.

Other Employee Reviews for Academy for Educational Development

Broad range of options, much lost potential

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Washington, DC
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Washington, DC

Pros

AED has access to a huge range of options in terms of countries, projects and topics in which it works, and its staff is very competent and diverse. Climate is friendly, open and respectful. Provides opportunities and expects staff to be self-managed in terms of their time and tasks. Benefits are great. Location of the main offices is great too.

Cons

AED management is surprisingly weak considering its success in the industry - probably a reflection of growing up with its main source of funding (US government agencies). Incentives and compensation do not address the needs for development of the organization nor its staff, but rather compensate giving "110% because management messed up." Local staff in field offices are second-class citizens with few chances for advancement in the organization. Overall the organization is wasting the huge potential of its staff and knowledge.

Advice to Management

Be less hidebound. Break down stove-piping, commit in practice to your words: a global organization.

Good overall, but has its downsides

Current Employee - Web and Database Developer in Washington, DC
    Current Employee - Web and Database Developer in Washington, DC

Pros

Nice people, pleasant office space filled with art, frequent cultural and educational events open to all staff. Quite good benefits.

Cons

Serving in a technical role (web and database developer for one of AED's projects) I feel too far removed from having a direct positive impact on any of the areas in which AED works. I've also been frustrated by the IT department, which is inflexible when it comes to their policies. For example, Remote Desktop Connection is also blocked, which makes it very difficult for me to work from home. I'm sure that inflexible IT policies are not unique to AED, but it's new to me, coming from a college environment that was much more permissive. Working in a technical role in this organization can be isolating, because there is no network amongst other staff doing similar work for other projects. In my job, I have no technical mentor or anyone who can review my design decisions.

Advice to Management

On the right track.