Academy for Educational Development
www.aed.org Washington, DC 1000 to 5000 Employees

I now know what its like to live as a serf in the days of old....

I have been working at Academy for Educational Development

ProsIf you are in a good position, you can pursue your own projects and funding.
Lots of talented people at AED.
Physical work environment good.
The Mission is good, but it seems to be only words

ConsThe competitive environment between centers inhibits collaboration and lowers the quality of work we are able to do.
Senior management are only interested in new business development or when there are problems. There seems to be little or no concern for the quality of our work.
Positive performance is not recognized. But when there are problems, you can be attacked.
Management is top-down with little focus on a person's humanity.
There are no mechanisms to communicate up the chain.
There is a culture of self-censorship that seems to arise from a fear of reprisal
Promotions are handled first from a political perspective.
Senior management states that technical excellence is AED's most valued asset. However, all promotions and recognition are provide for people in management positions with little or no technical capacity.
Some teams are really dysfunctional.
Performance assessment process is a joke and purely an administrative task.
The disparity between the lowest salaries and the highest are embarrassing for a non-profit.
If someone needs to be paid over $300K for the privilege to make a positive difference in the world than something is really wrong and they should go to the private sector. We cannot be dedicated to our mission if we have to paid so much.

Advice to Senior ManagementOpen and use your ears.
Create a 360 degree assessment process.
Destroy the culture of self-censorship
Create policies that will punish internal competition and rewards collaboration
Live the mission. Focus more on excellent work and less on business development
Reduce the salary disparity and lower the top salaries to no more than $300K

A dream job turned disaster

Technical Manager (Former Employee)

I worked at Academy for Educational Development

Pros: Benefits are OK, and the educational development benefit is useful;… Cons: Overall chaos and disorganization prevailed at AED even prior to their being banned from receiving further USAID funding. After that, even worse conditions developed. Payment… Advice to Senior Management: Hire managers who do not see their relationship to employees as an adversarial one. Get better contract writers; contract terms were unclear and unreasonable… No, I would not recommend this company to a friend More

A corrupted place with no credibility to work with corrupted governments

Analyst M&E (Current Employee)

I have been working at Academy for Educational Development

Pros: Great location! Some very talented and competent staff. Cons: I wonder how the organization can work on behalf of the US Government and lead programs that support, protect and promote values such as transparency,… Advice to Senior Management: Return the money to tax payers, stop corruption and treat your employees with dignity and respect. And fire… No, I would not recommend this company to a friend More

There are newer reviews on Academy for Educational Development.

Worked for Academy for Educational Development? Contribute to the Community!

Glassdoor is your free inside look at Academy for Educational Development reviews and ratings — including employee satisfaction and approval rating for Academy for Educational Development CEO George Ingram. All reviews posted anonymously by Academy for Educational Development employees.