Academy of Art University
www.academyart.edu San Francisco, CA 1000 to 5000 Employees

Working as an ESL teacher/ESL support teacher

ESL Instructor (Current Employee)
San Francisco, CA

ProsDecent pay (for ESL), opportunities for professional development. Interesting job. I teach EAP classes (English for Art Purposes), which are basically academic ESL courses with art vocabulary and assignments added. I also teach ESL support, which means that I sit in on a variety of different classes and help the international students succeed by making sure that they understand what is going on, what their assignments are, as well as reviewing class material with them.

ConsOne of the major challenges of being an ESL support teacher is not the actual job itself, but dealing with the teachers whose classes you sit in on. Most of them are very professional, make clear what they expect of you and are easy to get along with. But there are a few which might put your people skills to the test.

Never got a raise, but others did randomly.

Art Model (Former Employee)

I worked at Academy of Art University as a contractor for more than 3 years

Pros: Great environment with wonderful teachers to work with. Cons: Never got a raise even though I worked there for 3 years… Advice to Senior Management: Please give raises to reliable models who are on time… Yes, I would recommend this company to a friend More

Great online education program

Adjunct Faculty (Current Employee)
    San Francisco, CA

I have been working at Academy of Art University part-time for more than 3 years

Pros: The online program has developed into a very strong resource… Cons: As with any online program, I believe it has its limitations; physical interaction. But that being said, it also… Advice to Senior Management: The unfortunate reality is that education is a business. But the teachers are the… Yes, I would recommend this company to a friend More
There are newer reviews on Academy of Art University.

Worked for Academy of Art University? Contribute to the Community!

Glassdoor is your free inside look at Academy of Art University reviews and ratings — including employee satisfaction and approval rating for Academy of Art University CEO Elisa Stephens. All reviews posted anonymously by Academy of Art University employees.