There are newer employer reviews for Academy of Art University

Positive experience at the Academy of Art university.

Current Employee - Instructor  in  San Francisco, CA
Current Employee - Instructor in San Francisco, CA

I have been working at Academy of Art University part-time for more than 3 years

Pros

The flexibility of schedule and instructor teaching style. The Academy provides many resources for instructors and students, in regards to lab facility, online resources and knowledgeable staff.

Cons

Nothing in particular stands out

Fewer students per class would give students and instructors a better experience. Class sizes tend toward 20 - 25 students. With this number, it can be difficult to give more than 3-7 minutes of critique/ feedback per student assignment, without cutting into course instruction time.

149 Other Employee Reviews for Academy of Art University (View Most Recent)

It's all about which group you work for

Current Employee - Admissions
    Current Employee - Admissions

I have been working at Academy of Art University full-time

Pros

Diverse workplace, talented students and instructors to work with, great industry events. Some departments are stable, with responsible, fair, and competent managers. Generous President/CEO. Compensation is good for revenue-generating departments. Employees who are committed to growing the campus community and improving student experience.

Cons

Not enough time off. HR policies not uniform across the company. HR dept not there to support or protect employees- only have the backs of upper management. Upper management severely out-of-touch with needs of employees. High turnover, unrealistic work expectations, demoralizing environment, management decisions often do not make sense (Admissions). Open admission policy makes it hard for academic departments to maintain academic integrity as so many students are unprepared or poor performers.

Admissions and HR only-- Your employees work in a Draconian environment that does not foster growth or positive support. Bravo for hiring so many great people, but you are not keeping them around with micro-management and intimidation, as many others have posted here. Employees feel like they do robot-work with endless calls and emails, and are paranoid to take bathroom breaks or ask for time off for a dentist appointment. The office increasingly feels like a mill run by robber-barons.

Listen to your employees. Invest in them instead of treating them like they are disposable. If people are so unhappy how is it possible that upper management staff and policies never change? Nobody wants to say anything to HR because we know our criticisms and suggestions will not be considered and may expose us.

Poor misguided Academy of Art.

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee  in  San Francisco, CA
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in San Francisco, CA

I worked at Academy of Art University for more than 8 years

Pros

If it wasn't for the amazing people who work at and attend this school I probably would have stopped beating this dead horse a long time ago. That and the pleasure of being around the artistically minded keep me treading water.

Cons

I can't count the amount of times I've heard an Academy employee talking about how they were lead down the garden path, cheated out of benefits or treated poorly by management. The response is generally "Oh, thats just the Academy way." It seems to be common knowledge that the Academy is a lackluster employer who is more concerned with filling the pockets of the elite than providing a quality work environment or producing quality artists. It's a pity.

You were founded to be a school, to educate and support people as well as a business. But when did the extra buck cause you to sacrifice your moral soul and break the hearts of your employees? Aren't you tired of having no one having anything nice to say?

There are newer employer reviews for Academy of Art University

Worked for Academy of Art University? Contribute to the Community!