Academy of Art University
www.art.edu San Francisco, CA 1000 to 5000 Employees

It's all about which group you work for

Admissions (Current Employee)

I have been working at Academy of Art University full-time

ProsDiverse workplace, talented students and instructors to work with, great industry events. Some departments are stable, with responsible, fair, and competent managers. Generous President/CEO. Compensation is good for revenue-generating departments. Employees who are committed to growing the campus community and improving student experience.

ConsNot enough time off. HR policies not uniform across the company. HR dept not there to support or protect employees- only have the backs of upper management. Upper management severely out-of-touch with needs of employees. High turnover, unrealistic work expectations, demoralizing environment, management decisions often do not make sense (Admissions). Open admission policy makes it hard for academic departments to maintain academic integrity as so many students are unprepared or poor performers.

Advice to Senior ManagementAdmissions and HR only-- Your employees work in a Draconian environment that does not foster growth or positive support. Bravo for hiring so many great people, but you are not keeping them around with micro-management and intimidation, as many others have posted here. Employees feel like they do robot-work with endless calls and emails, and are paranoid to take bathroom breaks or ask for time off for a dentist appointment. The office increasingly feels like a mill run by robber-barons.

Listen to your employees. Invest in them instead of treating them like they are disposable. If people are so unhappy how is it possible that upper management staff and policies never change? Nobody wants to say anything to HR because we know our criticisms and suggestions will not be considered and may expose us.

Positive experience at the Academy of Art university.

Instructor (Current Employee)
San Francisco, CA

I have been working at Academy of Art University part-time for more than 3 years

Pros: The flexibility of schedule and instructor teaching style. The Academy provides many resources… Cons: Nothing in particular stands out Advice to Senior Management: Fewer students per class would give students and instructors a better experience. Class sizes tend toward 20 - 25 students. With… Yes, I would recommend this company to a friend More

Careful!

Admissions Representative (Former Employee)
San Francisco, CA

I worked at Academy of Art University full-time for less than a year

Pros: Exposed to a good product. You will have a different… Cons: Poor coaching. Poor morale. Disconnected management. Even though they offer free classes, no time to take… Advice to Senior Management: Do not rule out of fear. You have a… No, I would not recommend this company to a friend – I'm not optimistic about the outlook for this company… More

There are newer reviews on Academy of Art University.

Worked for Academy of Art University? Contribute to the Community!

Glassdoor is your free inside look at Academy of Art University reviews and ratings — including employee satisfaction and approval rating for Academy of Art University CEO Elisa Stephens. All reviews posted anonymously by Academy of Art University employees.