Academy of Art University

www.academyart.edu
  www.academyart.edu
There are newer employer reviews for Academy of Art University

It's all about which group you work for

Current Employee - Admissions
Current Employee - Admissions

I have been working at Academy of Art University full-time

Pros

Diverse workplace, talented students and instructors to work with, great industry events. Some departments are stable, with responsible, fair, and competent managers. Generous President/CEO. Compensation is good for revenue-generating departments. Employees who are committed to growing the campus community and improving student experience.

Cons

Not enough time off. HR policies not uniform across the company. HR dept not there to support or protect employees- only have the backs of upper management. Upper management severely out-of-touch with needs of employees. High turnover, unrealistic work expectations, demoralizing environment, management decisions often do not make sense (Admissions). Open admission policy makes it hard for academic departments to maintain academic integrity as so many students are unprepared or poor performers.

Admissions and HR only-- Your employees work in a Draconian environment that does not foster growth or positive support. Bravo for hiring so many great people, but you are not keeping them around with micro-management and intimidation, as many others have posted here. Employees feel like they do robot-work with endless calls and emails, and are paranoid to take bathroom breaks or ask for time off for a dentist appointment. The office increasingly feels like a mill run by robber-barons.

Listen to your employees. Invest in them instead of treating them like they are disposable. If people are so unhappy how is it possible that upper management staff and policies never change? Nobody wants to say anything to HR because we know our criticisms and suggestions will not be considered and may expose us.

171 Other Employee Reviews for Academy of Art University (View Most Recent)

Poor misguided Academy of Art.

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in San Francisco, CA
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in San Francisco, CA

I worked at Academy of Art University (more than 8 years)

Pros

If it wasn't for the amazing people who work at and attend this school I probably would have stopped beating this dead horse a long time ago. That and the pleasure of being around the artistically minded keep me treading water.

Cons

I can't count the amount of times I've heard an Academy employee talking about how they were lead down the garden path, cheated out of benefits or treated poorly by management. The response is generally "Oh, thats just the Academy way." It seems to be common knowledge that the Academy is a lackluster employer who is more concerned with filling the pockets of the elite than providing a quality work environment or producing quality artists. It's a pity.

You were founded to be a school, to educate and support people as well as a business. But when did the extra buck cause you to sacrifice your moral soul and break the hearts of your employees? Aren't you tired of having no one having anything nice to say?

Careful!

Former Employee - Admissions Representative in San Francisco, CA
    Former Employee - Admissions Representative in San Francisco, CA

I worked at Academy of Art University full-time (less than an year)

Pros

Exposed to a good product. You will have a different opinion on the Art World and see value in their product

Cons

Poor coaching. Poor morale. Disconnected management. Even though they offer free classes, no time to take them. One-on-one with managers consist of reviewing calls, and thats it. This is a call center job, period.

Do not rule out of fear. You have a poor sense of what would keep an employee motivated to stay.

There are newer employer reviews for Academy of Art University