Academy of Art University

www.academyart.edu
  www.academyart.edu
There are newer employer reviews for Academy of Art University

Penny pinching real estate company first, art school second

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in San Francisco, CA
Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in San Francisco, CA

I worked at Academy of Art University full-time (more than 8 years)

Pros

The place is run like the worst of a family own business combined with the worst of a corporation. Someone with the right mindset could weave their way through and make a decent living here, but you'll have to be nasty to people.

Cons

There is no culture of family or long term employment here - you have to fight for yearly cost of living salary increases and if you want more than 2 weeks of vacation you have to give up a salary increase. Everyone gets squeezed in every way, and they would prefer you quit than to earn a reputation of paying their employees well.

Be tough when you negotiate your salary, after you're locked in it is extremely difficult to get more than a 5% raise - and that will take a significant addition to your responsibilities.

There is a crazy amount of financial micromanagement with nearly no oversight over anything else. What people can get away with is crazy in terms of using equipment and resources for their own personal gain, while getting a critically needed sub $100 component ordered could take months.

The holiday party bingo game is an embarrassment. We have one opportunity a year to mingle with everyone, instead we spend torturous hours playing bingo desperately hoping to win an ipad or vacation we can't afford to go on. At the very least, vice presidents and other upper management should not play and compete for the same prizes.

171 Other Employee Reviews for Academy of Art University (View Most Recent)

Wast of time...

I worked at Academy of Art University

Pros

Work in SF, BUT this gets old when the pleasure of work is absent. Read the CONS to know why.

Cons

-Little or no opportunity to move up and further your career. Can't really further your life if you can't further your career.
    -WAY, WAY, (did I say way?) too much work for the what they pay you. (This will really affect your job in every way...) This happens because upper management do not know the amount of work that is done at the "ground" level. They pay you by your job tile and not the amount of work you do. Result? They blame you and not themselves because they're one-sided.
    -Wast of time because I could have worked some where else with REAL potential to further my career.
    -Way too much office politics. And that's an understatement.
    -I could go on and on...
    -Don't be surprised, this is just another "for-profit" business in the name of [product]. In this case, it's education. So... at the end of the day, when the dust settles, it's about the money.

I've moved on with my life, but please consider my comments (and everyone else's). You really can't just keep doing the same things over and over and over. We're talking about people here. right?

Money first, appearances second, students last.

Former Employee - Admissions Representative
    Former Employee - Admissions Representative

I worked at Academy of Art University as a contractor (more than an year)

Pros

School is able to afford a lot of great equipment for students.

Cons

Condescending management that will backstab and throw you under the bus in front of everyone if it means it'll ensure favor with those up top or increase personal gains from the situation (shady dealings). I feel bad for students who get convinced into these degrees ... the school has rather predatory admissions practices that aim to earn profits instead of guiding students to what's best for them.

Treat employees and students fairly and with respect! Stop playing favorites and flaunting your wealth in the midst of your overworked, underpaid, and under-appreciated staff.

There are newer employer reviews for Academy of Art University