Academy of Art University

www.academyart.edu
Profile Unclaimed
There are newer employer reviews for Academy of Art University

Penny pinching real estate company first, art school second

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in San Francisco, CA
Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in San Francisco, CA

I worked at Academy of Art University full-time (more than 8 years)

Pros

The place is run like the worst of a family own business combined with the worst of a corporation. Someone with the right mindset could weave their way through and make a decent living here, but you'll have to be nasty to people.

Cons

There is no culture of family or long term employment here - you have to fight for yearly cost of living salary increases and if you want more than 2 weeks of vacation you have to give up a salary increase. Everyone gets squeezed in every way, and they would prefer you quit than to earn a reputation of paying their employees well.

Be tough when you negotiate your salary, after you're locked in it is extremely difficult to get more than a 5% raise - and that will take a significant addition to your responsibilities.

There is a crazy amount of financial micromanagement with nearly no oversight over anything else. What people can get away with is crazy in terms of using equipment and resources for their own personal gain, while getting a critically needed sub $100 component ordered could take months.

The holiday party bingo game is an embarrassment. We have one opportunity a year to mingle with everyone, instead we spend torturous hours playing bingo desperately hoping to win an ipad or vacation we can't afford to go on. At the very least, vice presidents and other upper management should not play and compete for the same prizes.

183 Other Employee Reviews for Academy of Art University (View Most Recent)

Work Plenty and Get Paid Little!

Current Employee - Full Time Academic Coordinator
    Current Employee - Full Time Academic Coordinator

I have been working at Academy of Art University full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

– Great faculty who you work with.
    – Can learn a lot from taking and supporting content courses.
    – Can make opportunities for yourself in some departments.

Cons

AAU doesn't want to pay well for managers. I started in a coordinator position but it soon became a larger job, but they don't want to pay me for this extra work! They want me to train a colleague to take on parts of my job, but I won't train this person since that is not part of my current contract. I feel like I have to seriously fight to get more money and recognition for the work I am doing!!!

Pay better!!!!!!

Used to work there

Former Employee - Administrative Assistant in San Francisco, CA
    Former Employee - Administrative Assistant in San Francisco, CA

I worked at Academy of Art University full-time (more than a year)

Pros

- Fun, talented, hard-working co-workers

- Wonderful, talented, hard working students who are inspirational to work with

Cons

- Upper Management is borderline abusive

- There is a huge lack of respect taking place, and anyone with ears and eyes can sense it

- Lack of clear communication; which in turn confuses ALL departments

- I attended a meeting with other Administrators (we are all college graduates, and have made it this far in
    life...so I have a feeling we are decently intelligent), and a woman in upper management belittled us, and said, "Anyone with common sense would know that you don't pay this amount for ____. Use your brains. It's common sense." (Along with other extremely condescending, rude, insulting words.)

- You will not get paid for overtime, and the starting rate is MUCH lower than any other companies in San Francisco. It seems as though the high turn over rate is what the company wants, so that they can keep recycling people, and avoid paying higher wages to those who deserve it.

Learn to appreciate staff.

Look at companies with positive reviews - more likely than not, they appreciate their staff, and want them to stay around for the long-term. This not only improves morale, but also gives the students a better experience, with more knowledgeable employees.

Over-time NEEDS to be paid as well. Ask employees track their hours. They deserve to be paid for over-time. Period.

Also - to the President - maybe if you worked out your legal issues, and abide laws, your moral compass would be a little more precise, and employees would actually enjoy working at AAU. Hey - I used my brain! :)

I put the future of the company as "staying the same"...hopefully I am wrong. So much would need to change...

There are newer employer reviews for Academy of Art University