Acapulco/EL Torito Restaurants
www.realmexrestaurants.com Cypress, CA 5000+ Employees

Good people working but company does not take care of employers well

Server (Current Employee)

ProsThere is a great collection of people that are friendly and hardworking. I've worked at other service industry jobs and compared to some others, I think that the managers do a good job of selecting people who have good work ethics. Everyone helps out and we try to reach goals together. There is no competitive tension between the workers so it is a good environment to work in.

ConsA lot of times, we are understaffed, and that creates unhappy customers. Being understaffed means bad service, which means bad experience for the customer, which means managers have to discount food and lose money, and no tip even though we are hustling to try and get food and drink to every table while keeping on a smile. At the end of the night, its a discouraging feeling to go home exhausted, making half of what you could have made because there were too many customers compared to the workers. Also, the training process was a little iffy. I see newbies come in and they do not get the proper training they deserve, therefore making them feel uncomfortable with the new environment.

Advice to Senior ManagementA little goes a long way. Just like how a small act of kindness from another person can make you smile and feel like doing more good, El Torito should think of ways to make the workers happy. We've had lots of talks about the guest and treating the guest right, which is a little redundant because if we didn't know that or want to do that, we would not be putting ourselves through working at a service oriented workplace. I understand that our managers are doing this because there is instruction from higher ups to promote these ideas, but in all honesties, a lot of times our service becomes under par because we are so understaffed! If we get bombarded with tables because the managers are under strict eye to keep labor percentages low, it is not our fault that we cannot give each customer the service they deserve. We try to, but a person can only be in one place at one time. It just makes me wonder if the higher ups know what we go through to try and live up to their expectations. I know all they see are the numbers, not the people doing their best, because that is how we (as servers and hosts and bartenders) make a living. We make most of our money on tip, so of course we would like to treat our customers well and have them take care of us too.

A couple other things. One thing is that I was suprised when I found out that we do not get paid time and a half for working holidays. I understand that it is not the law to have to pay employers time and a half, but its just another thing that would lighten our mood a bit when we have to leave our families to come into work for Christmas, 4th of July, etc. Also, many other restaurant companies have benefits for their employers, but El Torito has none that they offer. It seems like it is an established company having been in business for so long, and I am curious to know why they do not offer benefits. Us servers/hosts/bartenders are technically at the bottom of the food chain, but we are the ones that interact with the customers and make the company happen. I get the feeling that they try to save money by not spending on those that actually do the dirty work. Happy employees make for a happier and more thriving company. It would be great to see the higher ups try to make a better environment for us, so that we can create an even better environment for our customers.

Not the best

Anonymous Employee (Former Employee)

I worked at Acapulco/EL Torito Restaurants

Pros: Good experience, both bar and restaurant, but they need to focus on solidifying… Cons: Poor upper management. No value on life balance, expect far too much of… Advice to Senior Management: Make sure that your employees are happier and I think you'll find… No, I would not recommend this company to a friend More

good place to start.

Restaurant Manager (Current Employee)

I have been working at Acapulco/EL Torito Restaurants

Pros: the starting wage is fair. Cons: contradicting messages from upper management creates difficult working conditions...what they… Advice to Senior Management: please promote qualified folks based on performance, not because you… No, I would not recommend this company to a friend More
There are newer reviews on Acapulco/EL Torito Restaurants.

Worked for Acapulco/EL Torito Restaurants? Contribute to the Community!

Glassdoor is your free inside look at Acapulco/EL Torito Restaurants reviews and ratings — including employee satisfaction and approval rating for Acapulco/EL Torito Restaurants CEO Chris Thomas. All reviews posted anonymously by Acapulco/EL Torito Restaurants employees.