There are newer employer reviews for Accenture

A good opportunity for growth and insight into the clients.

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in San Jose, CA
Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in San Jose, CA

Pros

mentorship and opportunity for training

Cons

Low salary, variety of work

Other Employee Reviews for Accenture

1. Too technology focused

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in New York, NY
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in New York, NY

Pros

People Resources Training at St. Charles

Cons

Travel Lack of support from senior management Not willing to budge on pricing

Advice to Management

Let employees have more say on what they want to work on

Great manager insulating me from short term thinking acquiring parent company culture

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Minneapolis, MN
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Minneapolis, MN

Pros

Great manager! He's made all the difference! He's allowed me to do what Daniel Pink talked about in "Drive" that makes for a fulfilling work experience: Autonomy: I'm free to do what I'm good at with as much autonomy as I can handle. Mastery: I'm learning to do what will make me better. Purpose: What I do will help others do their job better and make it easier. I also am able to have a very good work-life balance. I also have unusually good and intelligent co-workers here in this subsidiary of Accenture who make working together a pleasure.

Cons

The parent company is still, in its heart of hearts, an accounting firm. The subsidiary I work for is in the IT service business. What's proper leadership best practice, and culture, for one is not suitable for the latter. IT service business needs long term, system level thinking, leadership, investment and a culture that genuinely values experience and team-work over mere short term cost. There is thus a short-term benefit imperative coming from above that overrides the long-term cost objections by the front line experts. Also, the Performance Review incentives reward internal competition rather than cooperation, leading to perverse incentives that undermine the long term best interest of everyone and the firm itself. Those who rise are the ones who are not team players. Speaking of rising, I don't see any viable or attractive advancement options for technologists. You want to rise you have to go into management. The monetary incentives, though not the topmost concern for me at the moment, are 10-15% below par by comparison to other firms.

Advice to Management

Take a long hard look and study Edwards Deming's work. Look at the inherent clash of cultures between the acquiring Accenture and its subsidiary and take steps to grant more autonomy, mastery and purpose to the workers therein. Abolish the inherently zero-sum, short-termist Performance Review, and the perverse incentives that pit one part of the team against the other, one employee against the other at the expense of overall teamwork. As the Olympics showed, a basketball team of "All Stars" got beaten by a *genuine team* of players. Promote not those who *talk* a good game (but do so at the expense of others in the firm) but who *do* a good game (and do so for the benefit of others).