There are newer employer reviews for Accenture

Good out-weights the bad.

Current Employee - Manager in Houston, TX
Current Employee - Manager in Houston, TX

I have been working at Accenture

Pros

(1) Accenture is a very flat and easy to understand organization, you don't feel lost in a big machine even though there are 180,000 people
(2) The people are extremely smart and driven
(3) The career advancement is fairly easy - all you have to do is keep up the pace and promotions happen every 3 years or so;
(4) We get to work on some interesting projects with Fortune 500 clients; if you went to work directly for one of these companies, it would take you years before you would get to work on these projects; Accenture always has younger people working on projects than the client does
(5) You feel empowered to design really great things

Cons

(1) Travel; if you are located in a city where there is a lot of work like Houston, Chicago, or New York then you may not travel but if you are from a smaller city like Tampa, Austin, Charlotte then be prepared to travel Monday through Thursday for the rest of your career. Accenture does typically care where you are from as long as you are from a U.S. city then they will staff you on a project anywhere. You have to learn how to manage this and there are ways.
(2) The performance evaluation process is somewhat silly in the short term. I know people who get rated higher than others that just makes you laugh. But, in the long term things seem to work themselves out.
(3) Accenture mostly does big traditional projects. If you ever wonder how these enormous complicated systems get build, then Accenture can tell you. It's not really their fault, more the client's fault, but that's the kind of projects that Accenture works on.

Advice to Management

Reduce the love of industry buzz-words like cloud computing, digital skills, etc. We need to be more concrete and bare-bones in our wording and such. It's almost like we try to use words to make us sound leading edge when we are actually very conservative but are interested in what the future looks like.

0 reviews filtered by
  • Any Status
  1. Accenture has the best people

Current Employee - Senior Manager in Reston, VA
    Current Employee - Senior Manager in Reston, VA

I have been working at Accenture

Pros

The people are amazing and there are loads of opportunities to get involved from a community and project perspective. Senior leadership is competent and really cares about the people.

Cons

It's big and you can get lost in the shuffle if you don't a)perform like a super star or b) make yourself known to the powers that be.
    The company is not very nimble given its size and so downturns in the economy are met with layoffs as opposed to more creative solutions.

Advice to Management

Continue looking out for your people and treating them well and you will get high-performance.

2. Good short and mid term place to stay, not a life career unless you are experiencing unprecedented career growth.

Current Employee - Consultant in New York, NY
    Current Employee - Consultant in New York, NY

I have been working at Accenture

Pros

Unlike a "regular" company, there are much more leadership opportunities available. You don't have to wait for some lead or manager to get promoted to move up or wait until there is vacancy to step in.

The fact of the matter is, in most companies the jobs that many managers do, can be done by decent associates, but these associates just have to wait, because there just aren't enough manager roles in any company. In short, just the way how Accenture is, these manager roles are more readily available than a regular company.

Cons

The Accenture bred managers thinks too low of the lower rank employees, they are very dismissive of them. The culture is very fraternity like, if you are a Analyst, you are treated like a pledge. This is especially noticeable and obvious when you come in as an experience hire.

Advice to Management

None.