Accenture
3.6 of 5 7,817 reviews
www.accenture.com Dublin, Ireland 5000+ Employees

Great overall benefits, little room for promotion into Sr. Exec roles

Management Consulting Senior Manager (Current Employee)
Dallas, TX

ProsAccenture is really good about making "things" available to employees (free training, volunteer opportunities, community connections, networking events, generous vacation...). Project roles are generally engaging and challenging with opportunity to learn and grow from a knowledge-base perspective

Cons"Work Hard/Play Hard" generally equates to "Work Hard".

Bench time is not only frowned on, it puts a target on your back for a RIF.

But my biggest complaint is the upward mobility. The "up or out" model worked when there were ~25,000 employees with very few experienced hires. The company is now over 250,000 employees, and Accenture hasn't figured out how to hire in the needed leadership talent (Senior Executives) while still promoting their Senior Managers. There's a stall point when promotions stop and it becomes nearly impossible to make the jump to SE. But with an up-or-out mentality, they still expect Sr. Managers to deliver above-average results in order to get fair raises and bonuses.

And the laddering system makes it even more challenging; as much as Accenture tries to keep it fair, it's still a game of politics and loopholes where projects rate individuals, but individuals are not allowed to know what rating they received. That's a broken system.

I've seen many good Sr. Mgr. peers leave for greener pastures where they're made "partners" or "directors" b/c Accenture failed to value their experience, opting to hire in a Sr. Exec in lieu of promoting the SM. I'm contemplating the same move...i fear my talents and efforts are not justly recognized here anymore.

Advice to Senior Managementfigure out how to keep the talent you've grown in-house and maintain satisfaction. Doesn't have to be promotion to SE, but has to equate to acknowledgement of experience and "real" raises and bonuses.

And fix the rating system. Why should an individual NOT know how they were rated by a project, and why wouldn't the project leadership have a responsibility to own up to their judgement and talk an individual through the rationale. Employees deserve to know what rating the project gave them and why. Can you imagine a college class where you (might) get written notes from the professor, but they have no bearing on your grade. Your grade is based on test scores that you're not allowed to see...you just get a grade at the end of the semester and are asked to have faith that that's the grade you earned. Oh, and don't ask anyone else what their grade was, either. It's broken. fix it.

It has been a great ride.

Manager (Current Employee)
    Chicago, IL

I have been working at Accenture full-time for more than 8 years

Pros: Great company to work for. Cons: Sometimes it is diffcult to manage worklife balance Yes, I would recommend this company to a friend – I'm optimistic about the outlook for this company… More

Working for Accenture has made me more resourceful, pro-active, and confident as a worker, and as a person in general.

Senior Programmer Analyst (Current Employee)
    Sacramento, CA

I have been working at Accenture full-time for more than 10 years

Pros: - Great multitude of opportunities for work, and professional development - A… Cons: - Work-life balance is often challenging. Hours can be long (except for workaholics like me). - The… Advice to Senior Management: Job/performance expectations should be very clearly defined, equally, to both the worker, and the managers that rate them for promotions and raises. No longer should people… Yes, I would recommend this company to a friend – I'm optimistic about the outlook for this company… More
There are newer reviews on Accenture.

Worked for Accenture? Contribute to the Community!

Accenture – Why Work for Us?

Join a global management consulting, technology services and outsourcing company, with approximately 289,000 people serving clients in more than 120 countries. The sheer scale of Accenture’s capabilities and client… Full Overview

Provided by employer [?]

Glassdoor is your free inside look at Accenture reviews and ratings — including employee satisfaction and approval rating for Accenture CEO Pierre Nanterme. All reviews posted anonymously by Accenture employees.