There are newer employer reviews for Accenture

Good experience for a large company

Former Employee - Delivery Lead in Pittsburgh, PA
Former Employee - Delivery Lead in Pittsburgh, PA

I worked at Accenture full-time (more than a year)

Pros

I joined ACN through acquisition, so I had the experience of being in my role at both a 3K person company and 250K+ ACN. Being that large has it's benefits because when you're part of a quarter million person organization, you have the resources of a quarter million person organization. There were many opportunities to learn about any topic, category, industry area that you like. You just had to put forth the time and effort. After leaving, I've been very impressed with how engaged they stay with their alumni, keeping them plugged into events, conferences, studies, etc.

Cons

Being part of a quarter million person company, feels like you're one in a quarter million person company. What is a positive is also a challenge. The amount process we had to go through to do something as post a position for a backfill took 3-4x longer at ACN than my prior employer. When I left, the primary reason was that as a delivery lead, I felt that I spent the prior year not doing as much true 'work' but being more of a middle person and information mover.

reviews filtered by
  1. Great Job for recent grads

Former Intern - Systems Analyst in Chicago, IL
    Former Intern - Systems Analyst in Chicago, IL

I worked at Accenture as an intern (less than a year)

Pros

The culture is top notch and the people are great. Great experience into the consulting world.

Cons

Depending on what projects you get, the perks can sometimes outweigh the actual project.

Advice to Management

Sponsor graduate degrees

2. Solutions Workforce, 2nd class citizens. Don't bother

Former Employee - Senior Programmer in Washington, DC
    Former Employee - Senior Programmer in Washington, DC

I worked at Accenture full-time (more than a year)

Pros

I think I lucked out because the project I was on was excellent. Your mileage may vary but this is my experience on the project.

Worked with excellent people. My team was a mix of solutions, consulting, and services people. All of them were extremely helpful, reliable, and most importantly smart. I was even able to sit down with my senior managers to discuss technical issues. At least on my project, I was seen as an equal to consulting and services guys. If there's one thing I missed about working at Accenture, its the people.

Management really cares about your career and tries to help. They tried to help me grow by giving me more senior level responsibilities, and let me try out fields that I was interested in.

Corporate events were fun. There's usually a few large company parties every year. You can even take time off your project to volunteer around the area.

Work life balance is excellent. I was able to take a really hard college course online while leading an implementation project.

I actually learned a lot of information technology skills. I'm no longer employed in that industry but I still find myself using those skills at my new job.

Cons

I may have written a lot of positives but I wouldn't recommend joining Accenture under the solutions workforce at all.

You do the same work as consultants but the pay is well below average. I went back to school and I'm currently interning at a different company. My intern salary is is $8000+ more than my final Accenture salary and $18000+ my starting salary. That's not even counting the $5000 relocation bonus I got. What a joke!

The rating process is all about politics. Despite leading and developing a large implementation project as a senior programmer (2nd level of solutions), I only received a rating of "Average."

Advancement in your career is very slow. Most people will get stuck as an SSA (Senior Systems Analyst), which is one level away from Manager.

HR and many other consultants will look down on you. Lucky that never happened to me on my project but when I met other analyst, I definitely got that vibe. I remember on the first day a consulting manager asked everyone who was part of the solutions workforce. When we raised our hands he just shook his head, like we didn't know what we got ourselves into.

New consulting hires get to go to Accenture Core Analyst School, which is basically a several week non stop party disguised as "training". New solutions hires go a classroom for formal technical training in either programming or testing. the first week of training is just sitting in a room doing online training! If you fail the class you get fired. Training outside project sponsored classroom stuff is non-existent.

Advice to Management

Get rid of solutions entirely, or at least have some kind of equality between the solutions and consulting work force.

There are newer employer reviews for Accenture