Accenture

www.accenture.com

Great place to launch a career!

Systems Integration Consultant (Former Employee) New York, NY

ProsOffers an opportunity for intelligent, problem-solving and ambitious people to do exciting work that you would never get to do in industry. Working for Accenture or any of the big IT consulting firms is like IT boot camp. The work is challenging. You (mostly) build great camaraderie with your colleagues who are super smart and likely close to having the same amount of ambition and commitment to success. (Be warned you will be disappointed when you leave consulting for industry.

Traveling is awesome when you are young. You get to work for some great clients and if you are lucky in some great locations. If you are savvy you can see the world while getting some great work experience. Awesome for someone out of college.

The quality of the experience is incredible. You will learn Accenture Delivery Methodology which is a great asset that will benefit you the rest of your career wherever you go.

ConsTravel is usually incompatible with a healthy relationship with a significant other and if you can do that, I don't get how you can travel when you have kids (dads or moms). Eventually the work/life imbalance of consulting will inhibit you from having the relationships you want so if that is a goal, quit when you have gotten enough of the awesome experience so that you have the marketable skills to get a high paying job elsewhere, but aren't too fat, old and bald (for the men) to attract a suitable mate and settle down.

Most Managing Partners are very bad at managing people (for explanation see 'Advice to Management')

All in all Accenture will likely be a great experience, which oddly enough can be a con at your next job. Accenture is a well-oiled machine with super smart and ambitious people, which sets you up from great disappointment if you leave for industry because you want a family.

Consulting will probably land you a great job because recruiters know that you are a high caliber talent with great experience. They will also tell you how that external experience is such an asset and that your new company really values and wants that external perspective. Don't get your hopes up. That has not been my experience. Most corporations have cultures of entrenched bureaucrats (I even say that as someone that worked for the government) that don't want change even if its that idea that you implemented and delivered tons of value when you were consulting at Apple.

(This could be a review of another company)
As a full-time employee in industry (even at successful Fortune 500s) you may be very disappointed by: the lack of rationale behind some of the work you do (not value-add, on some VPs objectives and delivering may not help the company, but it will get them a nice performance rating), the messiness of the IT function, illogical processes, poorly thought out solutions, poorly executed plans and seeming apathy. Wait, but you are a consultant right. You fix these kinds of inefficiencies right? You can bring some method to the madness.

More likely, you will suggest an improvement, your older colleague will resent the suggestion, because they feel threatened because it may suggest something that they are doing isn't as good as it could be and you know better. and thinks of you as a know-it-all that doesn't get "the way things work around here". At this point, you may be feeling disillusioned and you can either: accept the mediocrity of your new job and focus on getting satisfaction from something outside of work, make your goal succeeding in corporate politics instead of doing meaningful work, or go be an entrepreneur (or go back into consulting - if no family).

Advice to Senior ManagementRethink the Profile of Partners

Being a good technical consultant and being a good manager of people are very different skillets. My observation was that most project leaders do not have both. The majority of colleagues that left Accenture was due to poor people leadership skills by the project leadership team.

If this is a problem worth addressing I have 2 suggestions. The first is for the short run, but think the latter would be much more effective in the long run.

1) Train your Partners to Develop People Management Skills

Most Partners I worked with had large egos and lost credibility because they relied on positional authority for power, instead of a mutual respect and inspiring leadership. Try to teach them how to be empathic, and to motivate and inspire a team (rallying the troops instead of "because I said so").

2) Address the Root Cause - Promote people that are actually good leaders of people to Partner

Understanding the problem takes a bit of psycho-analyzing the role of "Partner". The root of the problem is that in order to be a good leader that respects people. It is foolish to think that someone that doesn't respect themselves would be capable of respecting others. If you have stayed around long enough to become a Partner (btw Partner is a measure of endurance, not intelligence or achievement) you have made a choice that work/life balance is not important to you. The accomplishment of achieving the coveted role and salary of Partner is used to justify the lack of work/life balance. This makes these people dangerous. Their ego becomes a defense mechanism. If being Partner isn't so important they would have to deal with the intense guilt or emptiness about all of the life with their family and friends that they have already lost. All of their striving is probably to prove something and not deal with their underlying issues and feeling of inadequacy. Thus instead of really living life they have chosen the firm as their real family and friends. HOW DO I KNOW THIS? Because I was in the same striving/shame trap. The harder and more you work, the more exhausted you get, the bigger sacrifice you make, the more important you think it is (FYI - It is not that important).

Healthy people won't sacrifice enough to stay long enough to make Partner. So what happens is that the people that GET how to treat employees never make Partner. Becoming Partner is at odds with this concept of work/life balance and don't expect it for themselves and thus think it unnecessary to respect the work/life boundaries of any of their subordinates. When you feel like you are not respected as a subordinate you resent the leaders.

I guarantee if you look at any failed project that resulted in significant voluntary turnover, this is at the heart.I

Technology oriented Management consulting

Senior Consultant (Current Employee) New York, NY

I have been working at Accenture full-time for more than a year

Pros: Big company with offices worldwide and opportunities to work on… Cons: Bureaucratic; technology is the company's bread and butter so if interested in other type of work, it can be… Advice to Senior Management: Have a better onboarding process; provide the right training to the right… – I'm optimistic about the outlook for this company… More

Great company to work for right out of college if you are unsure of what you want to do

Analyst (Current Employee) New York, NY

I have been working at Accenture full-time for more than 3 years

Pros: pay is pretty decent compared to other non bank /… Cons: Promotions are 50% the work you do and 50% the… Yes, I would recommend this company to a friend – I'm optimistic about the outlook for this company… More
There are newer reviews on Accenture.

Worked for Accenture? Contribute to the Community!