Accenture

There are newer employer reviews for Accenture

Two-Faced Company

Former Employee - Contracts Specialist in Arlington, VA
Former Employee - Contracts Specialist in Arlington, VA

I worked at Accenture full-time (more than a year)

Pros

Benefits are competitive. 26 days of PTO and 6% 401K company matching and the ability to purchase company stock at a discount. Work from home capability but that largely depends on which department you work for. Salary appears to be pretty competitive; I made a 15,000 bump from my previous employer to here.

Cons

Many, at least in the Contract Management Services part of the company. Contract Management is a very unorganized part of the company. I worked in CMAS, which was a support group to assist contract management. Consistently poor record keeping and document storage and retrieval was a nightmare, even though this is something Accenture does for clients.

Workload was tough. It wasn’t bad when I first started but they laid off half of my team and forced the work onto everyone else. As my career lengthened I found the tasks of myself and coworkers to be increasing dramatically. Due to position the cuts, we were essentially doing the jobs of 3 people each. The atmosphere was very aggressive and cut throat when it came to work deadlines and tasks to be performed. If you made a mistake you are better off playing ignorant or pushing the blame on someone else. You will fail here if you are the kind of person who takes personal accountability with the desire to learn from your mistakes and improve. It’s better to not make any mistakes at all, you will pay for them. I learned slowly, but towards the end of my employment I started keeping detailed logs of my activities and requests that came though me to avoid being thrown under the bus by others. It worked, but I did this too late.

Was laid off. After a year and a half with the company Contract Management laid off approximately 40 people due to unforeseen budget problems in 2014. Two weeks before that happened I had received a raise and a bonus for excellent performance, which tells me they had no idea what they were doing. When I was let go, my supervisor and career counselor weren’t even notified that I had been terminated and had 1 month to find new work outside of the company. After being laid off, they hired a temp to take over my position. Accenture did pay well when I first came into the company, I guess they’ve decided to cut back on that and hire cheaper and more easily disposable workforce.

Shady conditions for the layoff. A month and a half before the layoff I was notified by my supervisor verbally that I was going on a performance improvement plan (PIP) for poor performance in specific areas. The PIP was never formalized, never had an official review meeting nor did I receive or sign any documents to formalize the PIP. For 45 very stressful days after that I addressed all of the issues my supervisor had received positive recognition from her that I had fully addressed the problems she was having and thanked me putting the hard work in to improve the situaton. I assumed that maybe she didn’t formalize the PIP and was just using it to scare me in the beginning. I believed this because I got a raise two weeks before I was laid off and was told I was performing very well. I also wasn’t expecting the raise because I was a temp to hire recently converted / hired by Accenture full time and was not eligible for bonus or raise till the next year, so it was a surprise. At the end of the 45 days I thought I was in the clear and was starting to have a positive relationship again with my supervisor but then was laid off with no advance notice. I was invited to shady and unannounced performance review meeting with a Director I have little contact with on Friday. There wasn’t even a calendar invite and was notified that he would only need 15minutes of my time, 15minutes for a performance review meeting is un heard of. When I got the meeting they cut to the chase and told me I had a month to find new employment and the reason my position is being eliminated is not due to performance in anyway and was due to unforeseen shortfalls in the upcoming 2014 year.

While I can only speculate, my guess is Contract Management wanted to make a major cut to the workforce and was looking to remove anyone who either made too much or was in the lower performance bracket. If they really had budget problems they would not have given me a raise just two weeks before that.
What I learned from Accenture Contract Management is that they are a very cut throat part of the company, at least the Accenture Federal portion of the company. They don’t utilize their own solutions they are selling to clients, they over work their staff and instead of working with under performers they eliminate them. I worked very hard for Accenture and despite the problems I was having at the end I had done great work for the company and had invested much of my personal time and life to help make the company successful. At the end of the day, the company did not have the same commitment to me and to many others.

If you want a company to grow and learn, don’t work here. If you are an established contract management professional working towards the end game of your career, this may be the place for you. Be advised though, my original boss from when I first started was also let go in an odd way. She had built the CMAS Support team to Contract Management and worked very hard and loved by everyone. She was forced to resign in the middle of a vacation she was on just three months before the big layoff. The hiring/firing practices of this company are shameful.

You're hiring / firing process is shameful. You need to take personal responsibility for those you hire. You hired them, if they're having problems you have a part to play in that as well. Consider work / life balance and consider the company's core values. The way I was treated and let go at the end did not live up to the Accenture way.

10211 Other Employee Reviews for Accenture (View Most Recent)

Good place to begin ur career

Former Employee - Senior Programmer
    Former Employee - Senior Programmer

I worked at Accenture full-time (more than a year)

Pros

Excellent training, good place to work,

Cons

Poor employee care, poor career focus.

Great place to learn, tough place to be over time

Former Employee - Management Consulting Manager
    Former Employee - Management Consulting Manager

I worked at Accenture full-time (more than 10 years)

Pros

Great learning opportunities
    Everyone is very driven
    High standard expected

Cons

Stewardship, pulling others up with you, isn't a value as much as it used to be
    Relationships with your client not the focus, relationships and network within Accenture is
    Old boy network is strong, it is who you know
    Hard to be an experienced hire, better to grow up in the firm

Realize that they hire some amazing people and listening to them, truly listening, is a good thing

There are newer employer reviews for Accenture