Accenture Consulting Rocks, BPOs not so much

Former Employee - Solutions Architect in San Francisco, CA
Former Employee - Solutions Architect in San Francisco, CA

I worked at Accenture

Pros

I've worked twice for Accenture, once in Consulting and once in one of the BPOs. Accenture Consulting is a great place to work. Challenging, interesting work, great comraderie, high rewards. You get to work with great people, and the work changes constantly.

Cons

For consulting, travel and work/life balance are very difficult. It can also be difficult to control the direction of your career, because you're often staffed where you're needed. It can be hard to build up expertise in a particular industry or technology. The BPOs are also very tough - they're the ugly stepchildren of Accenture. Accenture is putting a big push into BPO, but they haven't figured out how to integrate it well with the culture. It's viewed as a secondary career path, and people are not treated as well as in Consulting.

Advice to Management

Integrate BPOs into the culture and show you value them, or get out of the business. The two-tier system is not working.

0 reviews filtered by
  • Any Status
  1. Good place to work early in your career

Current Employee - Manager in Philadelphia, PA
    Current Employee - Manager in Philadelphia, PA

I have been working at Accenture

Pros

The people at Accenture are driven, young and fun. Normally, you work in diverse environments; however, there are a few instances with the "old boys' club" mentality. I loved being surrounded by leadership who were supportive and looked out for your best interests. This aspect is, of course, hit or miss.

If you find work that you like, it is not bad working long hours early in your career. You will excel if you are smart and dedicated. The company is always evolving to make processes better. Everyone receives a 15% discount on the stock, which is a great aspect.

Cons

Work / Life Balance is hard to maintain if you want to be rated well, even if leadership supports it. It is difficult to find local projects with a role that fits. Much of the time people are promoted based on their relationship with senior leadership, rather than theire performance. Leadership often favors certain people, those are the people who are rated the best. I think that happens at many companies though.

Good oppurtunities are difficult to find locally. This becomes almost critical if you are a woman with children. There are areas outside of consulting that may fit, but they are not as fulfilling to me.

Advice to Management

Find good oppurtunities for your people. Look for oppurtunities close to home.

2. Put in your tough 4 or 5 years, learn the methodolgy, then go elsewhere for big money and work/life balance!

Former Employee - Senior Consultant in Chicago, IL
    Former Employee - Senior Consultant in Chicago, IL

I worked at Accenture

Pros

Accenture taught me to far exceed my client's expectations in order to remain entrenched in customer endeavors and consistently generate revenue through follow-on projects. In my three years I was consistently pushed beyond my comfort zone to eventually provide my customer's with truly valuable deliverables.
    Employees were promoted based on merit and accomplishments rather than seniority.
    Accenture’s annual review process provided valuable feedback on how others perceived my consultative approach and work product.

Cons

Long Hours: If you are awake you're typically working
    As a senior consultant, my bonus was only 5% of base salary (though I did have the option to purchase stock at 15% discount)
    Travel: 4 or 5 days on the road gets old after a few years

Advice to Management

The best Managers/Directors I worked with were always assuring their subordinates were having fun while on the road.