Accretive Health

www.accretivehealth.com
Employer Engaged
There are newer employer reviews for Accretive Health

This company should be your back-up plan

Current Employee - Finance Lead in Chicago, IL
Current Employee - Finance Lead in Chicago, IL

I have been working at Accretive Health

Pros

- Good place to be if interested in pursuing career in healthcare finance and/or healthcare administration.

Cons

- Senior management is disorganized. The modus operandi is primarily to keep putting out fires. This means that all resources get reassigned to fixing the latest "issue" while everything else falls apart. You then rush to try and put out the next fire.
- Senior management is primarily unknowledgable about the healthcare industry as they are brought in from other industries. Normally this would be alright, except that in this firm, ego forces some senior managers to treat lower management and analysts with scorn.
- For a healthcare technology company, too many senior staff are not tech savvy and feel threatened by younger hires who are tech savvy.
- Most managers forget their responsibilities towards the lower level staff they are supposed to manage and therefore do not provide adequate career support and constructive feedback.
- For a company this size, there is a serious lack of policies, and terrible HR organization/structure/management. The company is in denial of the fact that they can no longer operate as a start-up.

Clean up your act. Put in place better HR policies and hire better HR resources. Focus on supporting the analysts who are entrenched in the day-to-day operations and data, so that their careers flourish and they feel good about doing the work they are doing. Put in place clear career paths and teach those at Managerial level how to effectively manage their direct reports.

239 Other Employee Reviews for Accretive Health (View Most Recent)

Tremendous personal and professional growth

I have been working at Accretive Health

Pros

1) Opportunities for personal growth are unlimited...for those who take responsibility for their own results and career path!
    2) I gain tremendous extrinsic value in being part of a team that is changing the face of American healthcare and building a company from scratch!
    3) I see a specific link between my effort, my results, and my compensation...

Cons

1) Opportunities for personal growth are limited by your own imagination, work ethic and willingness to take responsibility for your own happiness.
    2) This is not your father's Fortune 100 company...internal and external processes are under constant development
    3) This is not your typical Silicon Valley start-up either...the pressure to market a vision of the future is muted by the desire to deliver results, real value, for our customers

Don't change the focus on value delivered to our customers and clients...even while we enhance and grow our internal processes, controls and operating rhythms.

Great place for GO GETTERS - or anyone who wants to take control of their professional growth

I have been working at Accretive Health

Pros

1) There are a ton of opportunities - you just have to reach out and grab one
    2) #1 leads into a plethora of learning, and personal and professional growth
    3) The employees - my coworkers- have quickly become close friends
    4) Work HARD, play hard culture
    5) You get to work on so many different types of projects
    6) Junior associates drive just as much value as the senior associates
    7) VERY Intense, but in a "we're changing the world" kind-of-way
    8) You can have a voice... and be heard

Cons

1) If you're not self-driven - you will find the environment too intense
    2) Based on the fact that we're paving new grounds in healthcare, you do run up against a number of barriers on some projects (but not all - and it makes those kinds of victories that much more sweet!)
    3) personal space - we've grown so quickly that there aren't enough offices / desks to accomodate all the employees
    4) You're entrusted with a lot of responsibility right away

Make dedicated time on an ongoing basis to develop yourself and your employees

There are newer employer reviews for Accretive Health