Accuvant

www.accuvant.com
There are newer employer reviews for Accuvant

Poor leadership, increasingly harsh culture

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Denver, CO
Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Denver, CO

I worked at Accuvant

Pros

Conceptually, it's a great business model combining depth and breadth of expertise in various security products along with it's own research function that seeks to harmlessly exploit vulnerabilities in partner products and/or clients' infrastructure with the goal of improving security.

For the most part, the people are very nice

Cons

I agree with the other reviews that mention unrealistic goals. It is a very metrics driven organization (although their systems are horrible) and there's a lot of pressure to meet numbers - regardless of the situation. Management will do whatever is necessary to meet those numbers at the exclusion of everything else (specifically, considerations of you as a human being). For this reason, there is a lot of turnover - both voluntary and involuntary.

In my experience, the hiring process was fairly brief. As a prospective employee, do your due diligence and make sure you can thrive in that environment. Management will not hesitate to terminate you without notice if you do not meet your numbers/expectations and you had also better make sure you buy into the culture and your manager's style from the beginning. As another reviewer said, there are strong elements of a good ol' boys club.

I also share the same experience with another reviewer where specific qualifications were not addressed in the job description. This particular skill became a major part of my job. I asked for help but was left on my own to figure it out. If you find yourself in that situation don't expect much support in the way of training or additional resources. Everyone is extremely busy and the chances of them helping you on your project are hit and miss at best.

Lastly, there is a great deal of talk in the hiring process about collaboration, teamwork, "more heads" make better decisions, etc. That was not my experience nor was it was I observed throughout the company. The culture there is that those at the top know best. When given an assignment make sure you are in lock step with your manager up front. Projects are initiated at the top and delegated down. You can expect a very iterative process as what's thought to be needed at initiation changes by the time you deliver the project. It is terribly frustrating to put in nights and weekends to meet the deliverable only to have it miss the mark because someone arbitrarily changed their mind and you didn't know.

When I first started I believed the goal was to build a sustainably great company that was built on integrity and balanced the needs of customers, employees, stakeholders and community. What I've experienced is a culture that increasingly valued the needs of stakeholders at the expense of everything else. My advice is to get back in balance by: 1) suspending your belief that your rhetoric is reality and, (2) making a sustainable effort to truly listen to all your constituents.

24 Other Employee Reviews for Accuvant (View Most Recent)

A rapidly growing company where hard work pays off

Current Employee - Sales
    Current Employee - Sales

I have been working at Accuvant full-time (more than a year)

Pros

Great resources available to sales people, a fair but firm culture, respect and trust from managers (I guess this differs by team), no babysitting, excellent relationships in the security space, superior delivery of consulting services you can be proud of, ability to deliver the top security technologies in the world today

Cons

Focused on the metrics, dont expect to get away with coasting.

Keep up the good work

Could have been a good job but got back stabbed by manager!

Former Employee - Sales
    Former Employee - Sales

I worked at Accuvant

Pros

Excellent Compensation......the top earners make a very good six figure income. The product set is a great mix of IT security products and solutions and is marketed as such. They have a very good benefit package.

Cons

Lots of turnover. Extremely POOR management and unrealistic expectations and time frame to build business. I was personally backstabbed by a sales manager who was losing his personal prospects and laid me off to get to mine. Went to Senior management who basically turned their heads and did nothing. That to me shows the ethics of who this company is. Here's the kicker....they make you sign a non-exclusive and will act on it!! So you're screwed if you try and work in the same field.

It's a shame you run the company as a good ole boys club because there were a lot of good people who worked for you that our extremely successful elswhere.....maybe a blessing in disguise.

There are newer employer reviews for Accuvant