There are newer employer reviews for Accuvant

Exciting company, hard work pays off

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee  in  Denver, CO
Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Denver, CO

I have been working at Accuvant

Pros

Accuvant is growing +30% a year and has become a clear leader in the information security space. Has won numerous partner of the year awards from companies like McAfee, RSA, Aruba, Palo Alto.

Great sales culture, strong experience/skills on team. History of meeting and exceeding aggressive growth targets. Top performers are well compensated and recognized.

According to CIO magazine, 2 of the top 10 security researchers in the world (Litchfield and Miller) work at Accuvant. Other consulting departments are attracting thought leaders in certain technology sectors as well--David Swift building great SIEM practice for example.

If you are good at your job, you get rewarded. Negative reviews seem to be from folks who struggled to succeed. That certainly happens, but the company wouldn't be growing if it didn't make good use of people and put them in a position to be successful. I'm still here and I really like it. Best job I've ever had in fact. If you have a passion for information security and good expertise, you will have a lot of opportunity at Accuvant.

Cons

Accuvant is growing very fast and that has sometimes meant a bumpy ride. Systems have not always kept pace with the company's needs. Initiatives to improve internal functions don't always get executed, and those that do can take a while to produce benefits.

It is a numbers/results driven culture. I don't necessarily view that as a negative, but if you're looking for a place where you don't have to contribute much and still have good job security, Accuvant is not for you.

Don't know what reviews that mention "good ole boy" management are talking about--management team is ambitous and promotes a meritocracy culture. They could do a better job of providing more performance reviews though--comp plans seem to be primary way of providing feedback. You also need to make sure management knows you want to move up--promotions are competitive and there's no "standard" career path.

Keep recognizing and rewarding your top talent, and keep hiring good people. Provide clear vision on best solutions for clients. The rest will take care of itself.

22 Other Employee Reviews for Accuvant (View Most Recent)

Poor leadership, increasingly harsh culture

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee  in  Denver, CO
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Denver, CO

I worked at Accuvant

Pros

Conceptually, it's a great business model combining depth and breadth of expertise in various security products along with it's own research function that seeks to harmlessly exploit vulnerabilities in partner products and/or clients' infrastructure with the goal of improving security.

For the most part, the people are very nice

Cons

I agree with the other reviews that mention unrealistic goals. It is a very metrics driven organization (although their systems are horrible) and there's a lot of pressure to meet numbers - regardless of the situation. Management will do whatever is necessary to meet those numbers at the exclusion of everything else (specifically, considerations of you as a human being). For this reason, there is a lot of turnover - both voluntary and involuntary.

In my experience, the hiring process was fairly brief. As a prospective employee, do your due diligence and make sure you can thrive in that environment. Management will not hesitate to terminate you without notice if you do not meet your numbers/expectations and you had also better make sure you buy into the culture and your manager's style from the beginning. As another reviewer said, there are strong elements of a good ol' boys club.

I also share the same experience with another reviewer where specific qualifications were not addressed in the job description. This particular skill became a major part of my job. I asked for help but was left on my own to figure it out. If you find yourself in that situation don't expect much support in the way of training or additional resources. Everyone is extremely busy and the chances of them helping you on your project are hit and miss at best.

Lastly, there is a great deal of talk in the hiring process about collaboration, teamwork, "more heads" make better decisions, etc. That was not my experience nor was it was I observed throughout the company. The culture there is that those at the top know best. When given an assignment make sure you are in lock step with your manager up front. Projects are initiated at the top and delegated down. You can expect a very iterative process as what's thought to be needed at initiation changes by the time you deliver the project. It is terribly frustrating to put in nights and weekends to meet the deliverable only to have it miss the mark because someone arbitrarily changed their mind and you didn't know.

When I first started I believed the goal was to build a sustainably great company that was built on integrity and balanced the needs of customers, employees, stakeholders and community. What I've experienced is a culture that increasingly valued the needs of stakeholders at the expense of everything else. My advice is to get back in balance by: 1) suspending your belief that your rhetoric is reality and, (2) making a sustainable effort to truly listen to all your constituents.

A rapidly growing company where hard work pays off

Current Employee - Sales
    Current Employee - Sales

I have been working at Accuvant full-time for more than a year

Pros

Great resources available to sales people, a fair but firm culture, respect and trust from managers (I guess this differs by team), no babysitting, excellent relationships in the security space, superior delivery of consulting services you can be proud of, ability to deliver the top security technologies in the world today

Cons

Focused on the metrics, dont expect to get away with coasting.

Keep up the good work

There are newer employer reviews for Accuvant

Worked for Accuvant? Contribute to the Community!