Ace Hardware

www.acehardware.com

It was a decent starting job, with enlightening experiences.

Cashier/Stockperson (Current Employee) Orland Hills, IL

ProsTo get experience in a wide variety of minimum wage fields, to have a secure and relatively friendly environment, and to ensure flexible hours for a student or retiree. Good social interaction with the community. It is a very friendly, customer oriented store. From personal experience-I have always gotten the days off that I needed, and combined onerous schoolwork with a simple means of income.

ConsThe work is demanding, unrewarding, and underpaid. Students are abused into terrible conditions and harder work than older employees in the same position, as well as disrespected. From personal experience-I'm going to UIUC electrical engineering in the fall, and management thinks that I need to be told how to count products, and doesn't trust that I can remember how to clean the store- a list was provided daily for two years. I once cleaned out a drainage ditch or garbage for half an hour (we are next to a fast food store) and the manager came out because he didn't believe I had done the work, looked at my handiwork, and told me to pick a single leaf up; simply to avoid admitting he was wrong and I had done my job.

Advice to Senior ManagementReward good workers. Cut out laziness. Family employees are not the only employees in need of promotion. Treat everyone as your equal, and your customers will detect the satisfaction.

Very poor managers

Sales Associate (Current Employee) Keller, TX

I have been working at Ace Hardware

Pros: The owners were nice. Liked helping customers Cons: No training Poor management No work family balance Long shifts Advice to Senior Management: Look at your management not your employees as to your… No, I would not recommend this company to a friend More

Positive, it is what you make it

Anonymous Employee (Current Employee) Chicago, IL

I have been working at Ace Hardware

Pros: Strong name recognition, quite competent store level employees, carries hard to find items overlooked by the big boxes, with… Cons: Long hours, no real chance to advance beyond a store manager unless you buy yourself a store. Some inconsistencies which comes from independent ownerships. Some… Advice to Senior Management: This is directed to those who reside in Oak Brook. You have a world class name and organization but it needs to be kept flexible… More
There are newer reviews on Ace Hardware.

Worked for Ace Hardware? Contribute to the Community!