Ace Hardware

www.acehardware.com
  www.acehardware.com
There are newer employer reviews for Ace Hardware

It was a decent starting job, with enlightening experiences.

Current Employee - Cashier/Stockperson in Orland Hills, IL
Current Employee - Cashier/Stockperson in Orland Hills, IL

I have been working at Ace Hardware

Pros

To get experience in a wide variety of minimum wage fields, to have a secure and relatively friendly environment, and to ensure flexible hours for a student or retiree. Good social interaction with the community. It is a very friendly, customer oriented store. From personal experience-I have always gotten the days off that I needed, and combined onerous schoolwork with a simple means of income.

Cons

The work is demanding, unrewarding, and underpaid. Students are abused into terrible conditions and harder work than older employees in the same position, as well as disrespected. From personal experience-I'm going to UIUC electrical engineering in the fall, and management thinks that I need to be told how to count products, and doesn't trust that I can remember how to clean the store- a list was provided daily for two years. I once cleaned out a drainage ditch or garbage for half an hour (we are next to a fast food store) and the manager came out because he didn't believe I had done the work, looked at my handiwork, and told me to pick a single leaf up; simply to avoid admitting he was wrong and I had done my job.

Reward good workers. Cut out laziness. Family employees are not the only employees in need of promotion. Treat everyone as your equal, and your customers will detect the satisfaction.

272 Other Employee Reviews for Ace Hardware (View Most Recent)

Very poor managers

Current Employee - Sales Associate in Keller, TX
    Current Employee - Sales Associate in Keller, TX

I have been working at Ace Hardware

Pros

The owners were nice. Liked helping customers

Cons

No training
    Poor management
    No work family balance
    Long shifts

Look at your management not your employees as to your bottom line.

Positive, it is what you make it

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Chicago, IL
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Chicago, IL

I have been working at Ace Hardware

Pros

Strong name recognition, quite competent store level employees, carries hard to find items overlooked by the big boxes, with good ownership - integrates itself into a community, great customers mostly as well as great co-workers. (Depends upon the store)

Cons

Long hours, no real chance to advance beyond a store manager unless you buy yourself a store. Some inconsistencies which comes from independent ownerships. Some of the products selected by corporate aren't necessarily chosen for the 'right' reasons. A level of disconnect from Oak Brook mind think and the store mind think.

This is directed to those who reside in Oak Brook. You have a world class name and organization but it needs to be kept flexible while remaining true to the core of what made ACE. There is a great resource of people in the stores who you need to start tapping from and getting them in corporate. If you do nothing else do this if you want to keep the company strong in the future. Otherwise the company will falter and perhaps fail. Once you set your minds more in level with the stores minds you will see dividends as never before!

There are newer employer reviews for Ace Hardware