Great Place to Have an Impact

Former Intern - Intern in Brooklyn, NY
Former Intern - Intern in Brooklyn, NY

I worked at Achievement First as an intern (Less than a year)

Pros

Working behind the scenes, you have the opportunity to work with amazing group of people who have already achieved some amazing things and really just want to make a difference in these student's lives.

Cons

For a smaller organization, there does seem to be a decent amount of bureaucracy--I had to set up an official appointment just to talk with someone about my future.

Advice to Management

Let loose and let the employees run with their idea

0 reviews filtered by
  • Any Status

School culture and expectations are oppressive

I have been working at Achievement First full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Great coworkers make work somewhat tolerable and provide the support needed to get through the days and weeks. Being around kids also helps.

Cons

No life outside of work; poor school culture; expectation that poor kids and kids of color need discipline because "lacking" outside in their family lives.

Disappointment After Disappointment

Former Employee - Office Coordinator in Brooklyn, NY
    Former Employee - Office Coordinator in Brooklyn, NY

I worked at Achievement First full-time (More than a year)

Pros

1. Most of the teachers genuinely care about the academic and social development of their students. Since you're at school almost 24/7, you can choose to participate in activities with the scholars. 2. You might meet some great coworkers but they won't stay for very long.

Cons

1. Having a work/life balance is essentially non-existent. I was having a difficult time getting to work right at 7 am (arriving at 7:01 am is considered late and I usually arrived at 7:03 am) and my supervisor "advised" me to stop wearing makeup, shower at night, and limit my physical and social activity so that I could get to the school before 7 am. 2. There are no opportunities for growth if you're not a teacher. 3. I spent 10-12 hours at work almost every day but if I tried to leave on a Friday after working 8 hours, I would be scolded and told that it would be counted as a half-day. 4. While working on the operations team, I was made to feel like a slave and for the most part ignored throughout the day by non-operational staff. 5. Don't expect to get paid according to the quality of work you put in if you are not an instructional staff member. Teachers frequently get raises however I was told that there was no room in the budget to give me a raise of even $1/hr if I stayed for another work despite the great job I did for the school over the year that I was there. 6. This list could go on on.

Advice to Management

The world doesn't revolve around your crazy ideas.