Original Company fan - Private equity as owners equals unsatisfied employees in the case of Activant.

Current Employee - Customer Service  in  Los Angeles, CA
Current Employee - Customer Service in Los Angeles, CA

I have been working at Activant Solutions (California) full-time for more than 10 years

Pros

Many home based positions. Supervision is limited to crisis management. Do your job well and you will have more latitude to do your job.

Cons

Quarterly profit goals trump and long term growth strategy. Projects proposed and started for the entertainment and approval of management. Once senior management is bored with the excitement, the projects die. Many remnants of said projects linger to clutter necessary work.

Short term goals (and long term goals for that matter) are the concern of staff, managers and directors. C level management should focus their attentions to the strategic positioning and the future of the company. Corporate worth isn't measured in 90 day increments.

Other Reviews for Activant Solutions (California)

Weak management dilutes opportunity for success

Former Employee - Sales Engineer  in  Denver, CO
    Former Employee - Sales Engineer in Denver, CO

I worked at Activant Solutions (California)

Pros

The employees within Activant made it a good place to be. As long as you worked with Directors and below, you had a good chance of success and satisfaction. Geographic location was also a consideration. I lived closed to the office, thus it was worth staying.

Cons

Poor management skills. VP and Sr VP titles handed out based on longevity vs. capabilities. Most VP level executives are simply waiting for their tour of duty to end. No feeling of responsibility toward employees under them. The world is theirs -- we simply live in it.

Build something. Stop hanging on. Offer visions and strategies, so employees know where the ship is headed. Come to terms with the fact that you are not the smartest people in the company, and let others contribute.

Although I was good at what I did and received good management reviews, I was always worried about losing my job

Former Employee - Data Analyst  in  Austin, TX
    Former Employee - Data Analyst in Austin, TX

I worked at Activant Solutions (California)

Pros

Co-workers were some of the best people I have ever worked with. The benefits package and salary were highly competetive. Always had a flexible work schedule with no trouble getting time off.

Cons

Absolutely no formal training! My job was complex and it was virtually impossible for anyone to have the skill set and knowledge to complete the required job tasks. Learning was accomplished by asking my co-workers (and interupting their work) many times over and over through the course of a two year span of time. After two years, I pretty much knew what I was doing but still had to bother my colleages from time to time.

Management would only give raises to the elite employees...The chosen ones!!! All other employees (about 80% of the total work force) received no raises for several years.

Management never valued the employees. As stated earlier, no training or raises were provided. Also, great employees were either laid off or fired. There was never any recognition for a job well done and I never knew if I was doing a good job or not. There was very little effective communication between management and employees.

Value your employees!!! Quit focusing solely on the profit margin and create a positive work environment. Laying off good employees year after year to increase the bottom line will bite you on the rear end!

There are newer employer reviews for Activant Solutions (California).

Worked for Activant Solutions (California)? Contribute to the Community!