Truth hurts sometimes but you have to learn to listen

Current Employee - Do Titles Really Mean Anything?  in  Plano, TX
Current Employee - Do Titles Really Mean Anything? in Plano, TX

I have been working at Activant Solutions (California)

Pros

If you Love Stress and a future that your unsure about, then come to Activant.

Cons

Training and education of employees simply does not exist. Career paths start and stop at square one.

Invest in your employees. You do not keep people with empty promises and pipe dreams. You really should spend time looking at what the different locations have to offer vs what you think you see.

Consolidating redundancies is great but what is the down side and is it really practical in all cases, are you sure they are really redundant?

There are a lot of un-happy people within Activant and not just a single division or location, there are alot of people within the company, I think more then you imagine.

Other Reviews for Activant Solutions (California)

Activant -- wobbly foundation, not too late to shore it up?

Former Employee - Senior Product Marketing Manager  in  Chicago, IL
    Former Employee - Senior Product Marketing Manager in Chicago, IL

I worked at Activant Solutions (California)

Pros

I found the size of work-group teams to be comfortable and I appreciated camaraderie among associates, though it tended to be the dark-humor type. I found support for some growth-oriented best business practices that you expect in larger, more main-stream technology companies.

Cons

I never felt that Activant management really understood what it meant to be a market-driven company. In my time there, it swung back and forth between being sales-driven (i.e. chasing hard and fast for large customer opportunities and making myopic committments without factoring opportunity-cost) and being engineering-driven (i.e. creating products with features driven more by engineering-team technology bias than rational business-case analysis). As a result, I felt no sense of shared purpose or longer-term vision. Goals seemed very short-sighted and it felt like they were driven almost entirely by senior management bonus objectives. I grew pretty disillusioned with the focus on sale closure regardless of the costs or implications to employees and customers. From a peer-work perspective, I found Activant to be highly political. I found lots of people looking out exclusively for themselves, rather than a supportive team-oriented culture, with this behaviour getting more pronounced the higher you went up the management ladder.

Drive products from a true market-driven product-management perspective. Enable a business-driven product management function which is empowered from the executive level and not subordinate to engineering, sales or marketing. Reduce senior management bonus compensation or add other longer-term business health measures into the bonus structure. Measure performance based on customer acceptance of delivery rather than invoice - shift measurement to customer satisfaction versus invoices. Work on instilling a culture of values among employees -- remove internal competition and kill the politics. Focus on external competition and internal team goals. Support growth and financial obligations with a greater contribution of growth from organic development and partnering.

Activant Solutions

Current Employee - Prophet 21 Employee  in  Yardley, PA
    Current Employee - Prophet 21 Employee in Yardley, PA

I have been working at Activant Solutions (California)

Pros

Freedom to make your own decisions and limited management oversight allows individuals to produce on their own terms. It is fairly easy to obtain productivity and bonus goals.

Cons

Limited to no opportunity to advance within the company, there is limited to no training offered, and employee reviews are rarely if ever conducted. Activant is owned by venture capitalists and has an excessive amount of debt and It appears that management decisions are driven by the outstanding debt and restrictions of the debt. Without the ability to refinance and the current economic issues lowering revenue the short term does not look good and I suspect more layoffs in the near future.

Take a close look at middle management, nepotism, and cronyism

There are newer employer reviews for Activant Solutions (California).

Worked for Activant Solutions (California)? Contribute to the Community!