Activant Solutions (California)

www.activant.com
Unclaimed Profile
There are newer employer reviews for Activant Solutions (California)

It's time to turn things around.

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Plano, TX
Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Plano, TX

I have been working at Activant Solutions (California)

Pros

Activant has some very talented people working for them. I've had the priviledge of working with such people for many years. Combine that with the loyalty and friendships made over the years with coworkers as well as clients has been very rewarding.

Cons

No bonus, no matching on 401K, forced vacations, limiting accrued vacations hours, remote locations are unimportant and are treated the same as or given the same respect deserved as if you were in Livermore or Yardley.

Advice to Management

When you have less people doing the same amount of work or more expect complaints from clients and deal with it. Take responsibility for it but do not act surprised by it and throw your employees under the bus. That's the cowards way out.

0 reviews filtered by
  • Any Status

Truth hurts sometimes but you have to learn to listen

Current Employee - Do Titles Really Mean Anything? in Plano, TX
    Current Employee - Do Titles Really Mean Anything? in Plano, TX

I have been working at Activant Solutions (California)

Pros

If you Love Stress and a future that your unsure about, then come to Activant.

Cons

Training and education of employees simply does not exist. Career paths start and stop at square one.

Advice to Management

Invest in your employees. You do not keep people with empty promises and pipe dreams. You really should spend time looking at what the different locations have to offer vs what you think you see. Consolidating redundancies is great but what is the down side and is it really practical in all cases, are you sure they are really redundant? There are a lot of un-happy people within Activant and not just a single division or location, there are alot of people within the company, I think more then you imagine.

Activant -- wobbly foundation, not too late to shore it up?

Former Employee - Senior Product Marketing Manager in Chicago, IL
    Former Employee - Senior Product Marketing Manager in Chicago, IL

I worked at Activant Solutions (California)

Pros

I found the size of work-group teams to be comfortable and I appreciated camaraderie among associates, though it tended to be the dark-humor type. I found support for some growth-oriented best business practices that you expect in larger, more main-stream technology companies.

Cons

I never felt that Activant management really understood what it meant to be a market-driven company. In my time there, it swung back and forth between being sales-driven (i.e. chasing hard and fast for large customer opportunities and making myopic committments without factoring opportunity-cost) and being engineering-driven (i.e. creating products with features driven more by engineering-team technology bias than rational business-case analysis). As a result, I felt no sense of shared purpose or longer-term vision. Goals seemed very short-sighted and it felt like they were driven almost entirely by senior management bonus objectives. I grew pretty disillusioned with the focus on sale closure regardless of the costs or implications to employees and customers. From a peer-work perspective, I found Activant to be highly political. I found lots of people looking out exclusively for themselves, rather than a supportive team-oriented culture, with this behaviour getting more pronounced the higher you went up the management ladder.

Advice to Management

Drive products from a true market-driven product-management perspective. Enable a business-driven product management function which is empowered from the executive level and not subordinate to engineering, sales or marketing. Reduce senior management bonus compensation or add other longer-term business health measures into the bonus structure. Measure performance based on customer acceptance of delivery rather than invoice - shift measurement to customer satisfaction versus invoices. Work on instilling a culture of values among employees -- remove internal competition and kill the politics. Focus on external competition and internal team goals. Support growth and financial obligations with a greater contribution of growth from organic development and partnering.