There are newer employer reviews for Active Network

So much potential sadly unfulfilled

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in San Diego, CA
Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in San Diego, CA

I worked at Active Network full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

* A handful of great people * A noble mission * The potential to corner the online-registration market -- in ALL areas -- and be part of a truly dominant company * The location and the emphasis on healthy lifestyles

Cons

* Divisive C-level management: the never-ending tug-of-war between divisions crippled the overall execution * Wishy-washy upper management who constantly shifted strategies in response to that tug-of-war * Poor integration of the huge numbers of acquisitions added to the confusion * And now, from what is heard, the new management is accelerating the mayhem.

Advice to Management

Manage. Seriously: manage. Lead. Don't say one thing and do another. Do your job. Then hire the right people and empower them to do their jobs. An example: let designers (not the COO) design. And all of the military analogies the former CEO used to spout about loyalty (given the his West Point background) ring hollow given his actions.

Other Employee Reviews for Active Network

1. Company with a lot of opportunity

I have been working at Active Network full-time

Pros

Active has great employees and an admirable mission. There is a lot of opportunity to move up or to other positions. Extremely flexible work environment.

Cons

Sometimes it is hard to get things done quickly cross functionally. The things that should be easy get held up. Teams that are not customer facing don't always put customer first.

Advice to Management

Figure out technology strategy, communicate it to the team and accelerate development.

Lots of great people, terrible management

Former Employee - Senior Software Engineer in Seattle, WA
    Former Employee - Senior Software Engineer in Seattle, WA

I worked at Active Network full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Some very talented and passionate co-workers.

Cons

One of the 'tallest' org charts I've ever worked in... as a 'Team Lead', I had four people between me and the SVP in charge of our group. Seems like there are more managers than workers.

Advice to Management

You need half as many managers, and managers should be there to empower employees to work together, not to make decisions and hand them down from on high.